View Single Post
      03-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #19
largebaboon
Rep
Drives: G30 540i | F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Thanks for the info. I just downloaded a sound level meter app for my iPhone put out by NIOSH, the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, a federal agency. It seems to get very high user ratings. I will try it sometime soon. My feeling is that a great deal of noise in a car is directly attributable to the size, type and manufacturer of one's tires, and the presence or lack of any sound deadening material around them, at least it certainly is in my Z06. I did the whole back area in sound deadener DynaMat, which helped a little. The 540xi was very reasonable in terms of highway noise on our recent 3,500 mile trip. --Bob

I definitely agree. Most of the road noise do come from your tires and the insulation from there. I have heard a lot of good stuff about dynamat as well! In my 540i, an option I definitely regret getting was the 20 inch wheels. In my opinion while it looks good and the ride comfort is still acceptable, it definitely downgraded the ride quality and the quietness of the car from the smaller wheels.
Appreciate 0