pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Agreed! I hate that people who like to hunt now, will never know what upland bird hunting was like "in my day". We always had dogs. My father would pick me up after school and we could limit out before dark. Now you have to hunt all day with 3 people to even hope to get a single limit. A lot of my fondest memories were of hunting with my father and all his brothers who all had dogs and we'd be out there every weekend. Didn't even chase singles - just looked for the next covey.

Jake has not been on a hunt in many years, but he still gets all wound up when he see's a gun in my hands. Almost breaks my heart when I dig a rifle out for a coyote hunt, then have to leave him in the house after he has himself all lathered up. Need to take him for a "hunt" just to give him a chance to pretend to be looking for birds and burn some energy I guess. He does not have a lot of hunts left in him, so I guess I owe him that. LOL
The last time I hunted upland game was in about 2003 in South Dakota, near Fort Pierre. The pheasant population was at peak. I had a great local guide. I could have shot my limit carrying a blunderbuss from the 1600s. It was like shooting trap. Almost too easy.