Cougar85
///M550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSchnell View Post
I just picked up an '18 540 with the M package last week and I'd like to black out the kidney grills.

1. Where's the best place to pick one of these up...if not from the dealer? I actually negotiated that they do it before I pick up the car, but the day I went to pick it up they said they didn't have any in stock.
I'm having mine changed as a PIA at the VPC. I'm hoping there are no stock issues, or I might have to circle back around and see what others have said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSchnell View Post
2. Can I get the double spoke M style grill? Or am I replacing just the chrome trim when I go to do it? And would this affect the active venting flaps?
I have researched the double slats pretty extensively. I have an M550i coming in, so I felt comfortable putting the F90 style on my front end.

I have found differing opinions as to whether they will fit, or not. I can tell you, definitively, that the BMW grilles WILL NOT. I had a local dealership pull stock G30 grilles and black M Performance F90 grilles and they have different plastic trim behind the grille. The F90 grilles would interfere with the active grilles. And there is no way to trim them to fit.

I suppose some of the aftermarket mfgs might have the same plastic trim, so they might fit.

But, and this is one huge but, I gave up trying to find out if I can get it to work. A picture was sent to me showing what the double slats look like with the active grilles behind them. The slats and the actives behind do not line up. Regardless if they fit or not, IMHO, it is one "butt" ugly look!
Appreciate 1
540iSUP703.00