01-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #25
saporitj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540ix M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
I got an xDrive 530D because the street I live in is impossible in any snow. However as it came with 19" summer wheels I got a set of 18" Bmw alloy winter wheels from my local dealer. 19s are presently being stored by them. Only had one short blast of snow so far and it drove up no problem at all, much better than my last front wheel drive car on winters. So xDrive definitely helps but as others have said the rubber makes the bigger difference.
Also for anyone else wondering I have the blue m-sport brakes and the 18" wheels fit just fine.

The LED headlights on the other hand are totally useless in a snow storm, not enough heat to stop snow accumulation and rapidly get covered. I don't have washer jets and stopping on a motorway to clear is not an option. Serious design flaw which means even with the tyres sorted the car is heavily compromised at night in snow.
Interesting about the LED headlights. I never thought about the heat from the older fashion lights. We don't have a headlight washer option in the US so we are screwed.