GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
buddy, that would be 99% of the watch population... Rolex is smart to enough to cater to that
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
The watches from guys that make everything themselves are 100 times better than any Rolex imo
You can't lump high $$ watches together for a "best", just like you can't say an Audi RS7 is the best. For some dudes it is. For some it isn't.

I didn't buy my M4 Comp because it's the best investment, or because BMW is most well known ... in fact I give zero fucks about either of those things when it comes to my car; I got my car because the M4 Comp Individual is the car I wanted most. There's no best for all, just best for me. An RS7 is a great car, but not for me.

Just like with watches ...

Richard Mille, Hublot, Parmigiani, Patek, and Rolex all win for "investment" brands ... of those, a Rolex steel sports is going to be the easiest to acquire and sell (if you're willing to go grey), especially because China is all over them these days, thus so are speculators. Patek less so, but also in that league so, yes, if you're looking for mass recognition or sales-ease then Rolex and Patek are good buys.

Other brands are good for the art of things - like Lange - and there are all kinds of "high horology" brands like Moser, etc, but for the art of it, I'm a huge fan of the Glashutte region.

So if I was going to drop $90,000 on a watch it would absolutely be an A. Lange und Sohne Datograph:

But then, I would never do that, because I'm not a fancyman. I'm much more the overbuilt German harsh environments guy, so that's why I have the Sinn U1 and U2, both made our of anti-corrosive anti-magnetic, bead-blasted, tegimented, PVD coated German proprietary submarine steel.

Very few even know who Sinn is, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Somebody has to make tools for men - other people can buy Rolex or Patek.

Last edited by GrussGott; 09-08-2019 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 1