View Single Post
      03-04-2024, 12:20 PM   #3
bimmer_lover
Rep
Drives: bmwg30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbuggy2b View Post
A single incident of going over on your mileage, assuming it's not by a huge margin, shouldn't hurt anything. Just don't make a habit out of it. I do my oil twice a year, which usually works out to about 6000 miles, even though the interval is 10,000 miles. I just don't believe it's ok to do that long of an interval. ....but I may be too old school, growing with mandatory 3000 mile oil changes.

Here is a very comprehensive article on engine oils for BMW, with specific info by engine model. There are others, like Castrol or Mobile 1. I typically use Mobile 1 because it's the easiest to get my hands on. That being said, this time around I went with Redline.

The important part is to make sure you get one of the recommended viscosities with (this is the technically important bit) the correct API and group numbers.

Very generally speaking, the harder you run your car the higher viscosity you want to consider. E.g., if you take your car to the track, you may want 10W40 vs 5W30. Also, you may want thinner oil in the winter, like 0W30, if it gets very cold.

Thank you for the detailed answer!

Would for example Febi Bilstein Engine Oil 5W-30 LL04 work?
Appreciate 0