View Single Post
      02-21-2015, 12:32 AM   #16
phantomF80
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
So how else is a 100% electric car suppose to get over 200 miles on a single charge without a huge battery? Have you seen what kind of "battery" it is? Just a bunch of big positive and negative "AA" lookalike batteries that they put in a special order to achieve such efficiency. Plus everyone knows that an all electric car is going to weigh more than an SUV, especially one like the Tesla.

I was not talking about the super charger that is an option for the car, I was talking about the charging stations that Tesla made at certain gas stations across the country. That are free for Tesla owners to use to charge their cars.

They are taking a giant leap into this and who knows, 10 years down the road they might figure out how to charge the car better to extend its range while driving, make a 30% smaller battery with better a discharge rate or make the car a bit smaller too. They are the pioneers in this and are undertaking a lot.

Everyone is treating Tesla...well....like how the real Tesla was treated during his life. So sad.
Don't get me wrong, I really applaud the effort that Musk is doing with Tesla. Heck, I am thinking of putting my name down for Model 3. My problem is that a lot of people think Model S is the best electric car, but what's making Tesla really stand out is its commitment to its eco system like you have pointed out, much like Apple is to iOS and its eco system. My concern is that people think it's cheap to operate a Model S, when in fact it may not be once you factored in the infrastructure that needed to be put into the house if you can't use supercharger or free station all the time.

And you are right, long range electric car is going to be heavy, but it doesn't have to be Model S heavy, especially when you consider the barebone interior of the car. Just like Bentley is able to make a 2.5 ton car go wicked fast by putting in a powerful engine, a big enough battery can make any car go far. Think of what Model S can do if it's 10% lighter? It can get much more range, or it can use smaller battery to achieve the same range, which would cost owners less to operate. And they can definitely achieve that if they want to. Heck, his other company builds rockets, which has no margin on weights. So he has people that knows weight optimization, whom I hope do transfer knowledge to Tesla for future models.
Appreciate 0