View Single Post
      10-13-2021, 02:54 AM   #36
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I have just done this retrofit on my G30 (2019)

I used new parts from a BMW dealer, you need the retrofit kit which is the loom and handle, and the camera itself.

Parts are :

Fitting kit £30.07
Camera £318.74

So not cheap.

Originally I was going to get someone to supply and fit for £400 but the person I spoke to was a bit vague as to where the camera was sourced from, a lot of them are second hand on ebay from places like Lithuania. After thinking about it for a bit I decided to do the job myself, also if you provide your chassis number to the dealer you get a 2 year warranty on the camera.

I'm pretty handy, trained in electronics and work in IT so perhaps I'm better prepared for a job like this but it isn't a 5 minute job. However it's all easily do-able if you take it slowly and anyone could do it

The biggest task is removing everything to get access to physically install the parts.

I bought a set of trim removal tools from ebay for about £16 which I'd definitely recommend

You need to remove the following, rear seat (2 torx bolts), bootlid liner, boot hinge trim, rear boot trim, right hand boot liner, the plastic trim on the doorsteps, the panel above the pedals, the bonnet release handle and the fottwell trim. So quite a lot to do but actually it all came off and went back together without any damage

Mounting the camera is easy, just snap all the bits together on the new handle which comes in the kit and swap the handles over. Then it's really just running the loom, there's a power and earth to the rear fusebox and the ethernet wires run to the front footwell, just following the existing loom. Connecting to the BDC module connectors is very fiddly but just carefully dismantle the connectors and connect the wires (there is an error in the instructions) I actually soldered the wires to the new connectors but that's probably overkill. Note that the loom provided can be used for cars with an ethernet switch which isn't the case for UK cars that all have Pro Nav so the connector on the loom is cut off

Once all installed you need to code. I did have issues with this but have eventually concluded that it was because I was using esys 3.27. Elsewhere I found that 3.30 is recommended for VO coding G30 cars so that's what I did

You need to VO code 3AG and code a few modules (HU-NBT2, ICAM4, ACSM5 at least although you can just code everything). This brings up a few faults so I used ISTA/D to clear them. Note that ISTA/D in the control unit tree shows TRVCS instead of ICAM4 but I think that's just a quirk.

ANyway, everything works and I'm pretty pleased although my coding didn't go to plan originally with 3.27 esys

I could do it all again in probably 4 hours with the benefit of experience but allow a full day if you've never done it before and you should be fine.

So make sure you buy the correct parts, some trim tools, have a laptop with ISTA/D and esys 3.30 and you should be fine
Appreciate 0