Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
What's been your experience with wheel sizes, particularly given you're in the UK?
I'm thinking I'll probably go with 19" on passive M Sport suspension, which seemed okay when I test drove. I
I've had M Adaptive on my last two cars, which is too clever by half, smoothing out all but the worst surfaces. Not available on the G30 from the looks of it, only VDC, which doesn't use the M Sport springs according to my dealer, so no 10mm drop
Anyway, more to the point, having had 3 G30s (!! ), what do you recommend? And how do you find road/tyre noise in the G30 as compared with the F36?
Thanks
Only had 20’s on all 3, 2 with passive M Sport suspension, and the current with adaptive which I must say is sublime. Didn’t know that the adaptive was 10mm higher, come to think of it something does look different with this latest one and I couldn’t put my finger on it. It looks better proportionately to my last one? Could be that I guess? Maybe this is why it rides better, it’s far more regal in the way it drives, but still precise and accurate as any BMW should be. Bigger, and a little harder to hustle than the GC, but not massively as I also found the GC a bit wallowy. But totally acceptable. Try the same in an E class of new A6, the g30 is the best in class here end of.

Cabin isolation is also the best in class, miles ahead of the F36, you realise this when you talk in the car as you don’t need to raise your voice, it’s that quite.
Tyres dependent of course, I’ve had Pirelli, Bridgestone, continentals, Goodyear and Michelin. Michelin being the best, contis were really good, then Pirelli, Bridgestone with the Goodyear’s last. Ridge stones have come a long way from the E90 days but still. To the best. The Goodyear’s have had aweful reports with casing splitting and blow outs.
Thanks for that, all very useful
I don't know about adaptive drive being same ride height as SE, tbh, only the VDC option not using the M Sport springs. My budget doesn't stretch to the full adaptive, sadly, so I was only talking to the sales guy about VDC...