View Single Post
      08-30-2019, 04:14 AM   #41
mjr24
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp GC, X7, AMG GT53

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
You come here asking for sub-4 sec 0-60 midsize sedan options without going to the M5/E63 level of pricing. There are only a few cars that will meet your criteria besides the M550i: Tesla Model S and Charger SRT Hellcat. Judging by your previous cars, I doubt you'll visit a Dodge dealership any time soon. I'll be happy to stand corrected if this isn't the case.

So that leaves the Tesla which you poopooed and called just "trash" because it was everywhere. Newsflash for you: the 5er outsold the Model S every single year of its existence by a large margin. Boring? Maybe it is, but if you get your kick from fast acceleration, maybe boring is what the doc ordered.

So, I accurately called you out and said you are chasing after a unicorn that doesn't exist. Just get the LCI M550i with the rumored power bump and call it a day.

As for the 0-60 obsession, to employ the 0-60 time advertised by BMW, you have to turn off the traction for launch control activation. Call me crazy, but employing this type of exhibition of speed on public roads isn't exactly safe, especially if it involves turning the traction control off. Setting that aside, drag racing from one traffic light to the next isn't exactly fun or exciting to me, and I frankly don't understand people who do. Maybe you can enlighten us how sub-4 sec launches can be done safely and enjoyably on public roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
What isn't understood? I told you I come from a M6 and now the 550. No, to most people mid 4's isn't slow. However, most people aren't coming from a 575 and a 539 horsepower car. To ME, a mid 4 car would be a step back....simply put. I have zero reason to pay more for a car that is slower, isn't bigger, etc. Otherwise, I'll just pay more for the 750 which a going to be larger, more luxurious, and faster than the CLS53/E43/S7, etc.

Teslas are just trash to me. Some might be faster, some might be bigger. They are non starters for me. They are everywhere. It's a boring concept for me.

I still like to speed around but do so safely. Thus, yes, 0-60 is important to me. How fast I can get from 80 to 180 isn't. How fast my car is at the drag strip doesn't matter, either. Who buys an everyday car for $80-100k and takes it to a damn drag strip anyways? I never saw the point of that. 0-60 time is a lot more useful than say M5 power which isn't usable to most people over what the M550 provides. That's why I couldn't justify the extra premium on the M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma01 View Post
You come here asking for sub-4 sec 0-60 midsize sedan options without going to the M5/E63 level of pricing. There are only a few cars that will meet your criteria besides the M550i: Tesla Model S and Charger SRT Hellcat. Judging by your previous cars, I doubt you'll visit a Dodge dealership any time soon. I'll be happy to stand corrected if this isn't the case.

So that leaves the Tesla which you poopooed and called just "trash" because it was everywhere. Newsflash for you: the 5er outsold the Model S every single year of its existence by a large margin. Boring? Maybe it is, but if you get your kick from fast acceleration, maybe boring is what the doc ordered.

So, I accurately called you out and said you are chasing after a unicorn that doesn't exist. Just get the LCI M550i with the rumored power bump and call it a day.

As for the 0-60 obsession, to employ the 0-60 time advertised by BMW, you have to turn off the traction for launch control activation. Call me crazy, but employing this type of exhibition of speed on public roads isn't exactly safe, especially if it involves turning the traction control off. Setting that aside, drag racing from one traffic light to the next isn't exactly fun or exciting to me, and I frankly don't understand people who do. Maybe you can enlighten us how sub-4 sec launches can be done safely and enjoyably on public roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjr24 View Post
What isn't understood? I told you I come from a M6 and now the 550. No, to most people mid 4's isn't slow. However, most people aren't coming from a 575 and a 539 horsepower car. To ME, a mid 4 car would be a step back....simply put. I have zero reason to pay more for a car that is slower, isn't bigger, etc. Otherwise, I'll just pay more for the 750 which a going to be larger, more luxurious, and faster than the CLS53/E43/S7, etc.

Teslas are just trash to me. Some might be faster, some might be bigger. They are non starters for me. They are everywhere. It's a boring concept for me.

I still like to speed around but do so safely. Thus, yes, 0-60 is important to me. How fast I can get from 80 to 180 isn't. How fast my car is at the drag strip doesn't matter, either. Who buys an everyday car for $80-100k and takes it to a damn drag strip anyways? I never saw the point of that. 0-60 time is a lot more useful than say M5 power which isn't usable to most people over what the M550 provides. That's why I couldn't justify the extra premium on the M5.
My God, get off your soapbox. This seems to be a common theme in your posts. I can't believe you are trying to argue with me about some of the criteria I am balancing for MY car.

I was simply asking where other M550i owners were leaning towards once they get rid of the car.

However, thanks for your opinion.....it's really even more useful considering you own a 530 and not a M550i. Don't worry, I won't launch control by your nursing home.
2022 M8 Comp GC, 2021 AMG GT53, 2022 X5M Competition, 2021 X7 40i, 2019 M5, 2018 M550I, 2017 Audi Q7, 2014 M6 GC, 2013 Mercedes CLS550, 2011 750LI, 2008 M6 Cabrio, 2008 Porsche Cayenne S, 2004 Mercedes SL55 AMG, 2003 Mercedes SL500, 2000 Mercedes CL500, 1993 Lexus SC400, 1989 525i, 1985 318i
Appreciate 0