View Single Post
      08-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #1
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Something dumb I did

This has been mentioned before, but thought I'd make a post to really hammer the point home.

I washed my 330e a couple of weeks ago. Then moved it the few feet needed to get it back under the carport. Due to the lock-down in Victoria, it sat there till 2 days ago when I needed to drive to the shops.

I got in, turned it on, and put it into R. But no movement. Some revs, still no movement. I tried both electric and Xtraboost (to get the ICE running) modes. At first I thought the gearbox was not engaging. I shifted between D and R, and didn't feel any bumps or small jumps.

Then thought maybe the handbrake wasn't releasing. But it made all the right noises and didn't how to check physically. I gave it some throttle in case the brakes were stuck. Nothing.

I put into neutral and tried to push it myself. Wasn't able to move it. I thought this is what happens to you when your gym has been closed for 4 months.

After 3 or 4 such attempts I rang BMW. We tried turning it off, locking and come back in to see if a reset did anything. It didn't, so he booked in a technician to come over. About an hour he estimated.

So while I was waiting, I decided to have a another go. This time there was a mighty bang, like the if the drive shaft snapped in half, but then it moved!

Looking at the disks later, I could see where the pads might have rusted onto the disk.

So the lesson is make sure you drive the car after a wash with a little bit of brake applied to clear the water. Has not been a problem before lock-down, certainly is now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0