Thread: M550i or M340i?
View Single Post
      03-27-2019, 08:44 PM   #1
Dutt1113
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i xdrive

M550i or M340i?

I've been on the fence lately as to which of these cars I like better. I like them both for different reasons and I can't decide which I would be happier with for my next car. The current M550i seems to have more luxury and plushness with its build quality and materials used around the cabin. It has less textured plastic around the center console and more soft touch and stitched material throughout. The current tech is very good but may not be the absolute greatest or latest. (e.g.- "only idrive 6.0 and not the latest digital cluster in the g20 and new x5). However, whatever it may slightly lack here makes up with the sweet v8 which with Dinan you get around 600hp. The m550i is more subtle and bland looking at stock, but can be made to look m5ish with mods and look awesome.

The m340i is going to be the most modern with the latest tech including digital cockpit, drive 7, remote start, etc. The car is sportier looking and is still very fast with its I6, but not like the m550i. The interior is a little less luxurious, and less plush with more hard plastics used throughout. Particularly what bugs me is the hard plastic used around the lower sides/sides of the center console that your knee and thighs touch. Its hard cheap plastic and not soft touch material. This annoys me to no end. With full merino interior, that fixes alot of the cabin's plushness, but still doesn't fix the hard plastic around the lower center console. Why didn't they use a nicer squishier soft touch.

what do you think?