LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
The BMW extended warranty gets more expensive if purchased later. And I recall it's not the same version of the warranty. I read through the particulars earlier in 2019 when I helped a friend who purchased. I never purchase so it doesn't apply to me, therefore I'm a little rusty on the topic.

And on a purchase, I'd recommend buying the maintenance upgrade because if you don't at time of purchase your extension options later are poor by comparison.
I discussed this with the dealer at time of purchase and they confirmed both are purchasable later to no ill effect. I also see the upgrades listed in MyBMW for the car as purchasable options.

I would have purchased them as a no-brainer if they were like Mercedes-Benz which is 100% refundable if they aren't used (meaning your extended warranty is 100% refundable if your new car warranty is still in effect). But since they aren't it seems much more sensible to me to wait a bit. As something as simple as the car being totaled in a crash or traded for something else in the first 4 years could wash that money down the drain.

I have been eying the prepaid maintenance just because of my annoyance with service price creep on my MB, but I will likely not commit to this until near when the free maintenance is up for expiration. As upgrading on Day 1 would only add Wiper Blades and Brakes to my list of covered items. The biggest one is brakes, but I can add the plan if I notice brakes are due sooner than 3y/36K.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 6.10.12 PM.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  182.5 KB
Appreciate 0