View Single Post
      08-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #108
jpm3seriesdallas
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Sport/Prem. Pkg

Geeze

Most of these posts are so reactionary! Its like stumbling onto a Drudge link.

First of all, no one seriously disputes that in 10-15 years, which is the timeline we're talking about here, that oil and gas is going to be much more expensive. When we're paying $5/gallon or more in the US (and God knows how much in Europe) even those who can afford BMWs are going to demand more fuel and weight efficiency even if governments don't mandate it.

By jumping on this early, BMW will have a head start on the competition in designing lighter electric/hybrid or other alternative fuel vehicles that are lighter and exponentially more fuel efficient while remaining great performance vehicles. Do you really think BMW is going to put out a Prius with leather seats>! Have some faith in the company! Whatever they design is going to meet the brand's standards.

I for one would love to drive a whisper quiet, light, electric 3-series that matches and exceeds the performance of the current vehicles, and that's what we'll get.

Did you all bemoan the catalytic converter and fuel injection too? Come on, this is the way technology is going and BMW is just getting ahead as they should. Its going to be very hard in 12 years to sell a vehicle in mass quantities that gets 18mpg in the city like I get in my 328.
Appreciate 0