View Single Post
      08-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
malpatti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i xDrive

2021 LCI first impressions

Thought I'd start a new thread with my first impressions on the car I picked up last night. 2021 540i xDrive in Mineral White with Ivory White Nappa and Luxury Seating Package + massaging seats, Driving Assistant Plus, Parking Assistance, Premium Package, style 663 19" rims.

I had to drive it back to town for 90 minutes and set it on the ACC with the lane assist thing and I didn't really have to do much driving... flick the indicator and it moved into the next lane. Nuts.

Ride was a little stiffer than I would prefer on the 19" run flats but this AM it seems I've already gotten used it. It's less like riding on a "saggy college couch" and more "on a firmer but taught West Elm sofa". Would love to try it with non-run flats one day though.

The automatic parallel parking feature is very impressive as is the the semi autonomous driving tech, seems they've upgraded it a lot.

The remote engine start is AWESOME... car is cool before I even hop in. No need to use the app and do it 10 mins out, I mean if you're a couple of hundred yards away it'll be cool-ish by the time you're in it.

The "mild hybrid" 48V tech means I don't even notice the auto/stop start. Like.. it's instant. Now, the ability to turn it off has been disabled (unless in sport mode) but that doesn't matter anymore.

Full screen CarPlay on the 13.5" screen is too much... waste of space. Wish I could have additional BMW content on the right side like the previous generation. The Apple Maps instructions on the HUD is fantastic and simple - next turn etc. Also shows up on the instrument panel with cards showing multiple turns coming up. Ahhhh.

BMW Maps aren't particularly good. Ditched it after the first ride home. And don't miss the lane indicator on the HUD which you don't get with Apple Maps... it's too small always squinting.

Didn't know it came with a drive recorder... it's setup now.

HK sound system is solid.

The Nappa leather is very plush. The multi contour seats maybe have too many options?! Still trying to figure out the right setting. The massaging feature is much improved though... so relaxing.

The ambient lighting at night is very bright! Had it on green and I felt like I was in a UFO with all the tech. Super fun.

Those are just first thoughts. I haven't even tried the Apple Car Key yet!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
clee1982797.50