Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The sound is actually pretty good. You have to realize it was started and reved in a photography studio.

If you listen to it without preconceived notions it doesn't sound flat, and that is with reverb echoing off the nearest wall and ceiling.

As you most likely know there will also be plenty of sound options available in a short time after release from seemingly thousands of "tuners" across the globe.

Down pipe, intake, x-pipe and exhaust system will give it more sound "character" to suit your ear.
But why do you have to heavily modify an M-car (sometimes beyond legal means) just to make it sound good? AMGs (even that 2.0 4cyl A45), Porsche, Audi RS (heck even the normal Audi S) already sound pretty awesome off the assembly line.
I don't particularly care if an Audi sounds good in stock form and is not a perquisite to the consideration to purchase a car.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a FWD-based car heavily modified to be suitable anyway.

The M2 may have a sound profile that is undesirable to some or possibly to lot of people. But that really shouldn't be a deterrent to a RWD, manual transmission, fender flared, turbo charged, almost E46 M3-sized M car from BMW M GmbH now should it?

Not everyone wants a stock car. OEM manufacturers have multiple countries that they need to adhere to their noise and pollution requirements.

That is why the aftermarket exists, to offer products to consumers that want more. They desire more sound, more handling, more looks, more performance, more speed or just plain more of everything.

And yes, if one owns an Audi, Porsche or BMW there are an exceedingly large amount of aftermarket options to get ones car look, sound or handle the way they want it to.

The OEM+ M Performance exhaust and possible M Power Kit are conceived by BMW M to offer more (slight) performance without the risk to owners looking for more performance, while also adding peace of mind with a factory warranty.

And it is very profitable for them (BMW) to offer OEM+components instead of letting that owner go to the aftermarket and spend thousands of dollars on parts, and in most cases are unproven and untested parts.
I agree with the guy you were responding to not your long winded excuses. Is it asking to damn much for an M car to sound great out of the box these days? Why does it have to be controversial? If you wanna mod it knock yourself out but that should not be a requirement for decent sound. Not at this price. Sound my friend is a key ingredient for the overall experience. Between the sound and steering systems of these new M's I gotta say it's a turnoff.
Appreciate 2