Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjokosaus View Post
BMW fans gets M3 and M4 with a manual while Mercedes fans get a 4 cylinder hybrid C63, and soon an M4 CSL with over 100kg weigh saving. BMW fans get a smallish coupe with a manual transmission which is the future M2. People love to ignore the good BMW does.
Because those are the outliers. I remember times where I'd walk into a BMW dealer and wish I could have one of everything they made. Now? There's one, maybe two I'd consider. There just isn't much that's compelling or exciting coming out of BMW right now. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way. This new XM is terrible and embodies everything that's wrong with BMW right now.
Agree with Chihuahua and furthermore... few have "ignored the good BMW does." It has been acknowledged, for example, the G8x is a very good driving machine that handles well, accelerates like no M car before it, etc. Generally, people have acknowledged the G8x still handles better than, say, an RS4/5 and or C63. It's a great car until you step outside to look at it.

And Mercedes HAS been heavily criticized for it's upcoming 4-cyl C63 W206, even in MBWorld and other Mercedes forums. But the thing is, it kind of makes sense. The world is going electric and batteries weight a ton, so mating heavy batteries in a hybrid with a heavier 6-cyl would make it super heavy for a compact car. On the other hand, why is BMW just now (so late!) following a decades-old trend of big grilles at a time when cars are being electrified and hence don't even need grilles? It doesn't make sense, unless you believe it's because it's for the sake of a great design, which the majority would disagree.
Appreciate 1
racerbruce3853.50