Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by termigni View Post
S54? hilarious. NOBODY liked the sound of S54 in that era except a few of us including me. I just loved the stock raspy sound while everyone upgraded the exhaust at least with the X-pipe. Funny how times change and things are written in hype.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I never understood what the big deal was with the way the S54 sounded from factory on the E46 M3. I hated how raspy it was, but the intake noises were great. It can be made to sound good, but half the time, people go overboard with even more rasp and drone. I think BMW made it sound far better on the Z4M, stock for stock.

I love the S85 sound, but as a package, I just couldn't justify owning one due to maintenance. It's a car I'd love to one day own, but I still think as a package when you consider noise, maintenance, fun factor, the S65 is pretty hard to beat.

This might not be a popular opinion, but while the S62 sounds great with modified exhausts, I wouldn't put it in the top 5 for sure. I don't think it sounds that different from other V8's to be honest, while the S65 and S85 were unmistakable. I think the biggest compliment I can give these 2 engines is that they could easily be at home in something far more expensive than an M3 or M5/6.
that's why i find it funny when people talk shit about the s55 exhaust noise. of course it's bad, but your beloved e46 sounded even worse. somehow gets lost in the hype.

the s65 and s85 sounded good FOR BMW, but compared to the competition it was still quiet. there's an insanely high rate of modified exhausts for the s65 community.
Appreciate 0