View Single Post
      02-26-2024, 02:16 PM   #44
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummr8 View Post
Our family is growing and we've only driven BMWs for the past 15 years. We cross shopped a lot of SUVs and settled on the X7 to replace our E70 X5 even though we hate that the captains chairs don't fold flat (who's the idiot that decided that was fine?).

I'm planning to get a full-size crew cab pickup truck that will make my life easier and prevent me from destroying the inside of the X7 with building materials and other random stuff. Also planning to get a camper in the future and would use the truck instead of the X7 to tow it.

Which truck brand/generation do other BMW owners have and would you recommend it? I'm leaning towards Ram Limited but Ram's reliability history is holding me back. It seems most of the trucks have had engine issues due to dumb cylinder shutdown features.
Was in the same boat with our E70 X5, but went in a different direction and traded the E70 for my 2018 K2xx gen Chevy Suburban. That became my DD and my wife took over driving our E93. Big change going from an E93 335i to a Suburban, but I love my Chevy. Needed something to haul three rows of passengers including dogs, and cargo space simultaneously for long road trips, and then also "truck" duty for hauling stuff for home and yard. It's been great. No regrets at 90k miles.

For pickups, the Hemi 5.7L V8 is a solid engine, especially with their version of the ZF8, but they're definitely known for low-mileage lifter failure which can also take out the camshaft. Have seen some teardowns of this. If you're religious about oil changes and avoid long idle periods, it can reduce the issue. The Chevy's are also known for lifter failures due to the variable displacement stuff, but is completely random. Some will go for 200k miles, others fail at 30k. Not sure about the Fords.
Attached Images