Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Paddles are toast too. Single speeds will take over and replace your precious paddles.
Take a look inside of a Tesla 3.

It feels like an Ikea and an iPad had a love child.

BUT, they've proven that the minimalist design works, and there are a hell of a lot fewer parts making up the inside of the cabin.

Which means an easier supply chain, fewer repairs, fewer things to stock, quicker manufacture/production line times, fewer things to break-- and (of course) higher profits.

Yes, there will still be niche/boutique vehicles, but laugh all you want about the demise of the MT-- it's not the only thing going the way of the buggy whip-- paddle shifters, complicated dashes, mechanical air vents, iDrive: They're all dinosaurs that a single large touchpad are going to put out to pasture.

As much as I hate to say it-- Tesla built a better mousetrap (and I'm ONLY talking cabin design here), and all of the other manufacturers are paying attention as to what works, what the public wants (and there are more of the "care as an appliance" types than "car as a passion" types), and where they can save/make money.

Just my 0.02. I hope I'm wrong, but that's how I see the future.

R.
Mostly agree, but the locked down Tesla screen sucks. Want Spotify, Waze or something not approved by Musk? Tough shit.

Reminds me of our Stupid Audi that blanks out the maps if you dare to use an app from your phone.
Appreciate 0