MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Thats one thing I can agree with People forget when the 2JZ and Supra were out the Japanese Yen I believe was at an all time high
and these manufactures gave their engineering teams the ok for the engineers to show off all they got.

It wasn't being constricted by the bean counters, At this time ( mid 90's ) we had :
  • Twin Turbo Z 3.0 DOHC Twin Turbo w/4 wheel steering
  • Twin Turbo Supra 3.0 DOHC Twin Turbo ( extremely overbuilt )
  • Twin Turbo RX7
  • Twin Turbo 3000GT 3.0 DOHC Twin Turbo AWD w/4 wheel steering & active aero
All of these made between 250 & 300HP, Revved and had room for growth.
Its not just Fast and the Furious that made the cars legendary alot had to do
with the overbuilt motor and why they swap 2JZ & 1JZs into tons of cars.

Japanese engines in the 90s were typically overbuilt, I own a 1992 Turbo Sentra ( SR20 ) These motors came with 140HP and revved 7500RPM, With boost they would make 500WHP stock block.
Talk about overbuilt, An engine that came with 140HP and could do 500 WHEEL HP without even opening the block is just how some of these engines were back then.

If you spent any time at the drag strip ( I spent years there ) you would know why people love these engines and cars.

All these cars can make 1000WHP and not everyone needs 1000HP
Hey good info. And mind you, I wasn't saying that the 2JZ wasn't a great engine. Anything you can boost that high without blowing it apart is just amazing. I am just saying that the general public and even your average petrolhead only knows about it from the movies and it's a much smaller subset of folks like you who have had actual experience with them. Your average American gearhead at the time ... all they wanted was a V8 so didn't really appreciate how advanced the Supra of that time was and how amazing the engine. I did wonder, though, how they could afford to build engines that were both so advanced in their engineering AND so robust. I guess that time was the pinnacle of Japanese sports cars.

I guess most manufacturers are having to pour their money and resources into EV tech these days. So the S58 will probably be the most advanced I6 engine we'll see created before we either all go EV or global warm ourselves out of existence.
Appreciate 2
QUiKSR20361.50
Viffermike1753.00