QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Hey good info. And mind you, I wasn't saying that the 2JZ wasn't a great engine. Anything you can boost that high without blowing it apart is just amazing. I am just saying that the general public and even your average petrolhead only knows about it from the movies and it's a much smaller subset of folks like you who have had actual experience with them. Your average American gearhead at the time ... all they wanted was a V8 so didn't really appreciate how advanced the Supra of that time was and how amazing the engine. I did wonder, though, how they could afford to build engines that were both so advanced in their engineering AND so robust. I guess that time was the pinnacle of Japanese sports cars.

I guess most manufacturers are having to pour their money and resources into EV tech these days. So the S58 will probably be the most advanced I6 engine we'll see created before we either all go EV or global warm ourselves out of existence.
In the end I think its the "Supra" people that will be mad more than the "BMW" Fans ( US ). All this is going to do for us is bring more aftermarket attention and also it will be nice when people start gloating over features / interior etc etc and we look back like ( yep we've had all that for years, welcome to the party ). Unfortunately they will also complain when little finicky issues German cars have arise. Toyotas are known for having little to no issues with not much more than oil changes. My parents have driven basic Toyotas that have gone 150k+ miles with almost 0 maintenance outside of tires / brakes and oil changes.
Appreciate 0