E30toF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 528i Executive Edition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverdone View Post
I don't think there is a percentage like other things. Like cars, watches (time pieces) are a hobby, not just a fashion accessory.

I am a collector and I'm slowly working my way to a more expensive watch all the time, it all depends on how much I save PARTICULARLY for that watch and what my wife allows me to spend. ( fuck you guys )

I have a collection that ranges from a $300 (cdn) Seiko, to a $2k Tag Heuer and what I buy has no bearing on what I make, only what I have to spend on something that in most people's opinion, is useless.
Agree with this.
I don't think how much you make should have any bearing on what you "should" spend on a watch (within reason. Everyone's circumstance is different. A guy making $35k/yr that has a family to take care of is different from a single 25yr old with no real responsibilities even if they both saved for 5 years etc... )

Not uncommon that people will save for months or even a couple years to buy their grail watch, tucking away a small part of each paycheque to go towards a purchase (be it watches, electronics, cars or any other "toy"). . I think that's pretty normal. save $150/month into a fun account and you can buy a pretty decent watch after a couple years.

Like someone else here said, we have guys here spending $2500 on an exhaust (or any other mod) . How is that any different than the guy who spend $2500 on a watch? If you ask me, the watch will hold more value for a much longer time over the exhaust. But to reach their own. Everyone has their own vice. Clearly all of us here have at least one common one that we like to spend ungodly amounts of money on.

Some of these "guidelines" suggested by people are just silly. Need to make $500k/year to justify buying a $5000 watch? Does that mean you need to make $5m/yr to buy a $50k car?

Last edited by E30toF30; 01-02-2016 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0