View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
fishskis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

M3 Owner Considering 640i or 650i (and a few other random questions)?

I would appreciate thoughts and opinions on the following....

I am currently driving a 2011 M3 vert and I love it. Before the M3, I had a 650 vert, and liked it a lot. Though I love the M3, I do not love: the interior (feels like a plain, outdated 3 series interior), the premium sound is weak, I miss HUD in the 650, the air conditioning is ok, but I find it lacking on very hot days, and the mileage/ range is bad.

My current plan is to do a European delivery for a 640 vert or 650 vert, both M-Sport Edition, adding Nappa leather if I get the 640. I just did a brief test drive in both cars, and I actually was more impressed with the 640 than I thought I would be; I really liked the quickness and responsiveness of the engine. And though the 650 was a beast, there was a brief lag in acceleration, and frankly, I could not take advantage of what it offers in my Los Angeles test drive. Maybe I am not as needy/ demanding as I used to be, but I'm thinking the 640i is plenty of car, particularly realistically looking at driving options in Los Angeles (and the US in general). Of course, I will miss the handling of the M3, but if anything, the 640i should be slightly better in this regard due to its reduced weight.

When I factor in the price difference, and more importantly, the fuel savings, and the increased range, I am strongly leaning in the direction of a 640i. Maybe I am getting almost practical as I get older...Yuchhh. Economics are a consideration; I got an incredible lease deal (European Delivery) on my M3, and I am spoiled by it; I am trying to be relatively prudent.

Any opinions on the 640i vs. 650i question?

Additionally, I saw the new Dynamic Digital Instrument Panel, but only briefly; I thought it was cool, but simultaneously, I am not sure I liked it; it felt video-gamey or gadgety or maybe just too different. Any thoughts on this?

Regarding colors (I know, and impossible question), I am thinking about Ivory interior, though I am worried about keeping it clean, particularly in a vert. I am thinking about Titanium Silver , though Carbon Black looks cool (but I am not crazy about blue, and it looks like it might have a lot of blue in it), but probably very difficult to maintain, which is not my strength.

Thank you in advance for the input.
Appreciate 0