View Single Post
      09-11-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
I hope CarMakers are thinking of more solutions than just the key shutoff we're seeing that was added at some point (where it shuts off it is isn't moved).

The relay attacks have been well published and will only pick up I'm sure.

The OP mentioned that the location services were disabled from inside the car. Does that also cover BMW Stolen Car Recovery services? I know you can disable a lot in the vehicle, but I'd imagine you can't disable that feature from inside the car. Perhaps they allow that to be disabled in the UK, but not the US from inside the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas387 View Post
Car crime in the UK really isn't that bad either, but when it does occur, it is probably more common with higher value vehicles. We have seen a spate of thefts relating to vehicles with keyless entry in recent years, but I'm guessing that's true everywhere - I doubt our car thieves are any more sophisticated than anyone else's!

The garage thing is definitely true though. In my experience, even when people do have garages in the UK, they don't always use them for their cars. Our whole street has them, but almost everyone leaves their cars on their driveway.

I suspect this is down to a) people having too much other crap in their garage and b) very few people having automated garage doors, making getting the car in and out of the garage is a bit of a nuisance. I fall into both categories!
It probably has a lot to do with the crackdowns that have happened over the years in the US and the island reality we have (I know the UK is an island too...). Here in the US car theft is down quite a lot from historical peaks and the cars that are stolen tend to be cheaper older model cars with less tech in them. I wonder if it is due to it being easier in the UK to potentially steal a car and sell it in the EU or something compared here where theft DBs and such are national. No idea.

I'm in my 30s, but I don't know anyone in my friends group or living around me who has had their car stolen. I live in a major city and street park.

Car windows broken and stuff taken out? Yep. Car stolen? Nope.

When car theft does make it onto the news here it is almost always someone leaving their keys in the car as they run into a store and it gets stolen or (rarely) a car jacking.

But that's all anecdotal. HLDS has some data on what cars are being stolen and how often in the US.

https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/dod...tolen-vehicles
Appreciate 0