LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm7djs View Post
Mine was a 2017 so before the days of sleeping keys.

What I'm saying about the sleeping keys is that just because BMW say its fixed, I'd still take the extra security steps because the criminals always seem to be one step ahead.

I'm insured through BMW insurance, at the moment waiting for an engineer to contact me to discuss a valuation offer. It sounds like they just want to settle, but it still goes down as a fault claim

There is a lot of paper work to fill in, interviews with a Claims management adjustor etc... They have basically said they don't expect me to see the car again...
That makes sense on the key for sure and I'll take some additional precautions.

That blows my mind how it could be considered an at-fault claim. I know the UK is different than the US and even in the US each state has different laws, but here there is no way this would be considered at-fault. How could you have prevented this from occurring???

I could see it being an at fault claim if your keys were physically in the car and you left the car running with the key in it to "run and errand" and came back to a missing car. You could have prevented it by turning your car off and taking your key with you in that case. In this case your key was not left in the car by you nor did you do anything wrong...

Hopefully you get sorted without having to bear anything extra.
Appreciate 0