View Single Post
      06-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #16
seemebreakthis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by seemebreakthis View Post
no... not yet, i will make one this weekend.
Finally had time to make a video. Posted it here:
. Enjoy.

Part of the reason this took so long was the problems I kept having with the whole setup. Anyway here is a recap:

The A/V module + the iphone dock were purchased from www.alekshop.com. Contrary to what the site says, i would strongly recommend against trying the installation on your own if you are an average car owner like me who has never ripped a car apart before. Even the mechanics who helped me install the thing spent hours trying to figure out how everything should fit together.

Be prepared to spend up to 50% of what you pay for the hardware to find a suitable local garage / car repair shop to install the device for you. My experience was very bad here. It was really "hit and miss" to try and find someone who is capable of installing the module + the rear view camera. I ended up going to 2 repair shops 3 times in total just to get everything to work right. At the end, they had to look for another place inside the front panel to place the A/V module, because the location indicated by alekshop's installation guide just wasn't big enough to fit the module. Looking back at this ordeal, I could say it was ALMOST not worth it to install the thing. Having said that, the end result is really impressive.

I did not show the rear view cam in action in the video. But the idea is simple - you put the car on reverse, and the idrive starts showing what's behind the car.

One thing I forgot to mention in the video clip - you will need an iphone A/V cable too for this setup to work.

Some other useful links related to the video clip:

Slingbox and slingplayer: http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox
"TV Out" for the iphone: go to Cydia and install 'Landscape TV Out'. this allows you to output the video signal to the A/V module regardless of the app you are using.
Appreciate 0