View Single Post
      09-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #25
catchm3ifyoucann
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
F*ck Uber. They are a shady company with some of the stuff they have pulled. First off, they claim they are not a transportation company, but merely a technology company that connects people with rides. They do this to get around the regulations taxi companies have to follow like licensing, insurance, taxes, and car inspections. Second, they treat their drivers like crap. None of the drivers are employees, but are all contractors who receive no benefits and have to provide the car and maintain it. They are also not allowed to work for any competitors, which is odd because as contract workers, they should be able to work for multiple employers if they choose to. Many drivers do like working for Uber, but Uber's long term goal is to replace every driver with autonomous vehicles.

Third, the Uber executive staff have been involved in scandals to dig up dirt on critics of the company, track riders with the "god" mode of their software, and also placing bogus calls for rides to their competitors so they could actually pick up more passengers. Lastly, and one of the most infuriating things experienced by customers is their surge pricing that has been known to charge up to 7 times more than the regular fare.

All that said, that doesn't make me a fan of dirty and smelly cabs. The Uber/Lyft model has potential assuming the ethics issues can be worked out.
I would have to disagree. If they were to replace drivers with autonomous vehicles they would have to start paying insurance, pay for the vehicles, and pay for their maintenance. I see no benefit to them going that route. If anything they would be the last company to use autonomous vehicles.
Appreciate 0