Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboatster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I get this argument after hearing it so many times but its kind of hard to separate the overall package. Sure problems with the engine itself would be worse but does it really make you feel better that its robust while everything else around it is problematic? The whole package should preferably be reliable to really call the platform reliable and ease ownership stressors. If the fuel injectors and fuel pump required by the N54 are unreliable I'm going to say the N54 is unreliable and not distinguish between them as mutually exclusive.
Come on, replacing broken injectors is NOT the same as replacing the engine or replacing the pistons and rings because their design is faulty. While you might not distinguish between the reliability of an engine itself and its auxillary components, most people will do. Even if it turns out to be the same number of shop hours, for an average diyer this will be a difference between basically junking the car or being able to repair it yourself.
Yes but is it too much to ask to have reliability in both areas? Comparably if an N55, B58 has both a reliable engine and bolt ons/supporting equipment I would consider it the more reliable platform and evaluate it favourably as a choice. That was more my point. All else being equal if the N55 has less auxiliary component failures (fuel pump, turbo wastegate rattles, whatever) I'm not going to say the N54 is just as reliable as the N55 even if it could go the same mileage without a rebuild. Just my way of looking at things.
Appreciate 0