LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clee1982 View Post
Same that's why I don't get why Audi/bmw (i7) all put map down there, just not sure if it's better to glance down vs glance to side when HUD is insufficient for whatever reason
I know the question wasn't asked to me directly, but I'll chime in anyway (joy of forums I guess).

I find I use both the HUD map and the in dash map. Obviously, the HUD is better and keeps my eyes on the road, but the cluster map has a bit more information that can be useful in certain circumstances.

For instance, the HUD map is active when I have a destination programmed into the NAV, but the cluster map is always there with our without a destination added. It can make getting a quick glance of what's coming up really easy and I don't need to care if my wife is trying to find a song at that moment.

I personally find the two maps complimentary and not an either or proposition. The best way I can see them is in terms of information density and you have the ability to scale that density as the driving situation entails.

LOW = HUD: This gives you the most important data you need for the currently set navigation destination.

MEDIUM = DASH/CLUSTER: This gives you the same information as above, but in an always on fashion that gives you an idea of what's around you in addition to where you're immediately going. But still has a lot of dense details ommitted.

HIGH = iDrive Display/Center Screen: This will give you the maximum navigation information density. You'll see stuff like traffic or on street parking availability as well as road names and direction and etc.

90% of the time HUD & DASH are all I need.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50