View Single Post
      06-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #3
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I try to think of the active steering as the safety system BMW intended, not the autonomous mode we wish for. In that regard it lets me relax a bit on highways and some B-roads, but I never assume the car will steer itself through intersections, unclear lane markings, and certainly not roundabouts.

On the fuel efficiency front, it is unfortunate that the car accelerates towards the selected speed to close a gap even if I can see traffic ahead slowing for a red light. I would also change lanes on a highway to maintain speed without the system, while with ACC I tend to slow down with traffic in my lane and then change lanes and waste fuel getting back up to speed. It will be along time before these systems anticipate traffic ahead and in multiple lanes to pilot an efficient course.

The ACC is the best implementation of the tech I've experienced for one reason. When I change lanes and get behind a car that is traveling faster than I am, even if I am too close to that car, my car does not brake. It might flash a red warning. In other cars - Audi, Toyota, Mazda - I have had the car brake hard when I change lanes close to another car going faster, which invites a collision from the car behind me in tight traffic. I guess this is one concession where BMW lets us drive like BMW owners.
Appreciate 0