CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post
Sorry this is incorrect. You need to touch the steering wheel at regular intervals even in the Traffic Jam mode. Therefore, Traffic Jam max speed has no bearing on the matter.

Only exception I've noticed is when you are under extremely low speeds (under 10mph in my experience) in motorway conditions (I.e. no chance of pedestrians), car will allow for hands off for prolonged periods.
I should retract that you never have to touch the steering wheel in traffic jam assistance mode.

When I used it, I was able to go several minutes without touching the steering wheel and actually put my hands back on the wheel before I was even prompted to do so because traffic had let up. I figured if it hadn't prompted me to touch the steering wheel after 4 or 5 minutes then it wouldn't at all and I could go on indefinitely as long as your speed was under 43 MPH.

EDIT: For what it's worth, these were my driving conditions: Well striped road with 4 lanes of traffic (2 lanes each direction) and a median in the center dividing the cars moving in opposite directions. Speed limit for the road was 50 MPH (had cruise set to 42 because I was experimenting with TJA) and my speed never went over 10 MPH during this experience until I put my hands back on the wheel and ultimately turned. I should have timed how long my hands were off, but it was at least 5 minutes, could have been as long as 8+ minutes.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay

Last edited by CLABRO; 05-21-2019 at 04:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
ADS-UK498.50