kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I bet you I don't. Explain "part throttle". What makes a DCT superior to an 8HP at part throttle? the TC is locked almost all the time. There is no TC slip except at start or slower shifts when it doesn't matter. And how does "overall feel" make a DCT better? How does it make you a better driver? Yes the shifts feel a little crisper, but the car is still shifting for you. You're not doing any of the work like in a manual transmission. So what does it matter?
There is no question DCT is the superior transmission here, especially in the manual mode. With Zf8, downshifts have huge lag when asking for two and more shifts braking into a corner, and there is a huge delay until you can get back onto the throttle at the exit. DCT is instant and you can always feel the total connection between the engine and the transmission i.e. driver is in full control of the vehicle.

I do not agree with that "then get a manual" because while DCT doesn't have a third pedal, it makes up for much faster manual shifts with consistency. ZF8 can be fast but is rather inconsistent and struggles to cope with prolonged heavy duty use (track).

Most importantly, DCT's responsiveness just makes driving more enjoyable. I have to second-guess what ZF8 wants to do when pushing around mountain roads and that gets tiring.
SYT_Shadow11479.50
alex23642861.50
Biginboca3763.50