12-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #28
Symo
Where is the Earth Shattering Ka Boom?
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 540i Mediterranean Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgieUK View Post
The iPhone ACE app (used for managing the dash cam settings, viewing footage etc) had a significant upgrade today.
It's now much better then it was, and seems to connect to the camera more reliably. A real benefit is that you can now rotate the iPhone to landscape mode to make the video much larger on the screen.
On first connection to the dash cam, it asked to upgrade the dash cam firmware. You have to leave the ignition on, and it will complete the upgrade in about 5 minutes.
I haven't been able to notice any difference yet, but it's good to see that the app is being updated.
I wonder why BMW don't simply build a dash cam into the car when it's made. The car has cameras all over the place it uses for its own purposes, it has a HDD storage and USB ( to download and archive video) and well as well as other telemetry ( speed, throttle position, whether indicators are on etc). All it would need is for them to write the code.

I know not all cars have all of the stuff, so if your car doesn't have nav, that info would not be available. But it's not s big ask for BMW to do this and make it available to the driver. The car had a black box recorder in it that can be accessed by the police in the event of a car crash now. Just add that to what the user can access
Appreciate 2
clee1982796.00