Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethemachine View Post
Same here...I think it's junk.
I have a question for those who have no issues with it:
can someone time how long it takes for a simple command to complete?

Make sure your doors are unlocked before you begin.
1. open the app
2. start a stopwatch
3. tap Lock doors, confirm.
4. wait for the doors to actually lock
5. stop the stopwatch

My results vary. The best time I have seen is 18 seconds, but often it runs for about 1:30~2:00 minutes and then it just times out.
Even at the best case 18 seconds -of waiting and staring at my phone- it does not meet my expectation of how an IOT device should perform. All the home automation products I have used are tap & forget, and they complete commands within a couple of seconds at most.

Reloading the remote camera image succeeds maybe 1 in every 10 attempts. The other 9 times it times out.

Everything about the 5 series BMW is top notch, premium quality and feel. I think they should do a better job with the mobile app.
The time is takes the app to complete tasks makes sense to me and I like it. BMW doesn't "mask" the task time any and you get a real confirmation that your task has completed. My MB would complete tasks sent to the car super fast. Except you wouldn't know if it didn't actually get the command!

The phone has to send a command to the server which then has to wake up the car and process the command then the car has to reply. It usually completes in 20 seconds which I think is pretty good and I can be certain that it is done!

IoT devices often are connected to wifi so are always awake. Cell phone connected devices like cars can't always be connected because cell phone spectrum is limited so they need to sleep until waken up.
Appreciate 0