F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > wheel damage... can this be fix?
Extreme Powerhouse

01-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

wheel damage... can this be fix?

powder coated wheel damage. Can it be fixed? photo show some kind of plastic laminate on top of the coat.

I need options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
yes, about 150$ or so at a wheel repair shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
yes, about 150$ or so at a wheel repair shop.
Is that normal for a powder coated wheels? I haven't damage any powder coated parts before. I'm very careful, so this is my first.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #4
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Is that normal for a powder coated wheels? I haven't damage any powder coated parts before. I'm very careful, so this is my first.
if a small crack causes peeling, it means the powder coating has not attached as well as it could have. It will need to be re-powder coated again. The estimate i gave you was not taking into account the powder coating.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #5
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Quote:
if a small crack causes peeling, it means the powder coating has not attached as well as it could have. It will need to be re-powder coated again. The estimate i gave you was not taking into account the powder coating.
Re-powder coating shouldn't be too steep either. I got a quote for $220 a wheel to have them stripped and powder coated. I would imagine with the little bit of curb rash you have there they will need to repair the rim first so I'd expect a quote of around $300.
You could also probably have someone repair, paint match, re poly for about $170. Even though it's powder coated they will still be able to spray it. It's not the PROPER way to fix it and will show some fading in a few years but if budget is a concern that is definitely an option.

Also it doesn't look like your powder coating cracked. Looks like the clear coat on top chipped away.
      01-21-2021, 05:27 PM   #6
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post
Re-powder coating shouldn't be too steep either. I got a quote for $220 a wheel to have them stripped and powder coated. I would imagine with the little bit of curb rash you have there they will need to repair the rim first so I'd expect a quote of around $300.
You could also probably have someone repair, paint match, re poly for about $170. Even though it's powder coated they will still be able to spray it. It's not the PROPER way to fix it and will show some fading in a few years but if budget is a concern that is definitely an option.

Also it doesn't look like your powder coating cracked. Looks like the clear coat on top chipped away.
I'm not good at paint, so the peeling that look like plastic is the clear coat. I just want to understand a little more. The tire shop already agreed to pay, so that's good. Just that the tire shop manager said that the the powder coat was poorly done on the wheel, that it should not happen because powder coated wheel is strong:

Thank in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #7
njdangelo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 x5 50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdangelo View Post

I'm not good at paint, so the peeling that look like plastic is the clear coat. I just want to understand a little more. The tire shop already agreed to pay, so that's good. Just that the tire shop manager said that the the powder coat was poorly done on the wheel, that it should not happen because powder coated wheel is strong:

Thank in advance
From what I understand, sometimes a clear coat is added to the powder coat to help to help certain finishes pop more.

Here's an article about it

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/lea...at-is-required