BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications JB+ Installed

06-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #1
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

JB+ Installed

Opportunity presented itself to purchase a used JB+ for my 540. Thanks to member 540iSUP.
Had my chance to install today and take the car for a short ride.
As per 540iSUP it still had the factory boost setting. I did notice a improvement in performance in both Sport and comfort. IMHO these cars are pretty quick in stock form but definitely a noticeable improvement with the JB+.
A couple of observations when installing.
1- appears a critter started to nest on top of engine ( never looked under the cover previously) fair amount of leaves had also accumulated under there. Nothing a quick vacuum could not handle. Poked around a bit but did not see any damaged wires etc.
2- The grey retainer clip where the harness meets the charge pipe was missing. Wondering now if the previous owner had a piggy back. Note to self to check more carefully when purchasing used/CPO.
Looking forward to getting it out on the highway. As with other mods I hope the performance bug doesn't bite too deep
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      06-24-2022, 12:53 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
peteinpa398.50
      06-25-2022, 04:50 AM   #3
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Glad you like it Pete!

If that gray secondary clip lock thing is missing, then most likely someone did have a piggyback unit installed. I know because this was my first mod myself and I did the same thing.

I'm sorry to say, the performance bug might just get you! Have fun and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:33 PM   #4
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i

crank that thing up to the highest setting! Had it on N20 and N55 for 3 years each and 0 problems
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      06-25-2022, 03:55 PM   #5
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealBMW View Post
crank that thing up to the highest setting! Had it on N20 and N55 for 3 years each and 0 problems
Can I open up the unit and change settings while still on car or must it removed first. Assume I wait for car to go into sleep mode to adjust it ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteinpa View Post
Quote:
Can I open up the unit and change settings while still on car or must it removed first. Assume I wait for car to go into sleep mode to adjust it ?
Yeah, definitely discount it, send the car to sleep and then change it. It takes literally 5-10 seconds to disconnect.
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:06 PM   #7
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
I'm very very intrigued by this product. But I worry about the warranty factor and I've got 4 months of warranty plus at least one year of CPO left. I might just wait a couple years. I go back and forth weekly. I'm also not sure why I'd be doing it, other than some added fun. I don't push the limits of it, as it is. But it sounds like a great idea when I'm reading this website!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:40 PM   #8
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I'm very very intrigued by this product. But I worry about the warranty factor and I've got 4 months of warranty plus at least one year of CPO left. I might just wait a couple years. I go back and forth weekly. I'm also not sure why I'd be doing it, other than some added fun. I don't push the limits of it, as it is. But it sounds like a great idea when I'm reading this website!
Dude, do it! It really is just a unit that plugs into the OEM boost sensor. If you need to go to the dealer, take it off. It doesn't register anything on the ECU. You're not coding anything. You don't need any upgrades at all to run the unit.

The only downside is that you might get hit by the HP bug and then want to do more. Out of all the piggy back units available for our cars, this is by far the simplest and least invasive.

To be honest, $250 isn't worth it for the unit. If you can find it used for about half that, I would jump on it. You can find them in any of the FS sections of cars with the B58.
Appreciate 1
NGT25781.00
      06-28-2022, 08:52 AM   #9
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post
Dude, do it! It really is just a unit that plugs into the OEM boost sensor. If you need to go to the dealer, take it off. It doesn't register anything on the ECU. You're not coding anything. You don't need any upgrades at all to run the unit.

The only downside is that you might get hit by the HP bug and then want to do more. Out of all the piggy back units available for our cars, this is by far the simplest and least invasive.

To be honest, $250 isn't worth it for the unit. If you can find it used for about half that, I would jump on it. You can find them in any of the FS sections of cars with the B58.
A bit wrong here. If something goes wrong with the engine, a dealer will be able to pull logs with higher boost/hp and BMW will decline the warranty. Should this stop you? Absolutely not

I would buy a new unit, $250 is not much for this mod, it does give you the most HP for your dollar in my opinion.
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
NGT25781.00
      06-28-2022, 04:37 PM   #10
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

A bit wrong here. If something goes wrong with the engine, a dealer will be able to pull logs with higher boost/hp and BMW will decline the warranty. Should this stop you? Absolutely not

I would buy a new unit, $250 is not much for this mod, it does give you the most HP for your dollar in my opinion.
I'd love to have it. But I think I'd hate the decision more if I had to eat a major repair that would've been covered, otherwise.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #11
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to have it. But I think I'd hate the decision more if I had to eat a major repair that would've been covered, otherwise.
If you already have high miles or planning on keeping the car for 5+ more years, then I would skip it.
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:25 PM   #12
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you already have high miles or planning on keeping the car for 5+ more years, then I would skip it.
I've only got about 36k miles on it. But I would like to keep it 5 years, at least. Only reason I wouldn't is if it just starts having too many issues. Obviously I don't want that to be the case. Or if I just have more money to throw around on cars than I think I will, which would be great! But with two little kids, I'm not counting on it…

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #13
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've only got about 36k miles on it. But I would like to keep it 5 years, at least. Only reason I wouldn't is if it just starts having too many issues. Obviously I don't want that to be the case. Or if I just have more money to throw around on cars than I think I will, which would be great! But with two little kids, I'm not counting on it…
Openned up the unit to check boost setting. I believe it is already set at max. Can one of you guys confirm?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 03:54 PM   #14
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Openned up the unit to check boost setting. I believe it is already set at max. Can one of you guys confirm?
Almost, don't remember if it turns all the way to the right
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Almost, don't remember if it turns all the way to the right
Found more info. It is set at 3 o'clock = 4psi boost from factory. Only have .5 boost to play with it appears. Will leave it for now and adjust later if needed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 05:21 PM   #16
bvincent
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540i

I am enjoying the JB+ on my 2018 540i, immediate performance boost, also installed the BMS intake and I noticed that my horsepower and torque guages changed after that, went from 400 HP to 480 HP and the same for torque. LOL guess the car knew something changed and that I needed more room on the HP and torque guages, didn't expect that without a tune/flash.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 06:04 PM   #17
peteinpa
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvincent View Post
I am enjoying the JB+ on my 2018 540i, immediate performance boost, also installed the BMS intake and I noticed that my horsepower and torque guages changed after that, went from 400 HP to 480 HP and the same for torque. LOL guess the car knew something changed and that I needed more room on the HP and torque guages, didn't expect that without a tune/flash.
Wow that's interesting. I need to check mine. What do you have the JB set at?

Update - my displays read 400/400. So no dif.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 08:59 PM   #18
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How long have you had the JB+?

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:07 PM   #19
DealBMW
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You sure you didn't have MPPK installed?
artyom@srnjteam.com
Instagram @duercos
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00
      07-25-2022, 09:49 AM   #20
bvincent
Rep

Quote:
Wow that's interesting. I need to check mine. What do you have the JB set at?

Update - my displays read 400/400. So no dif.
I have it at the default setting, have not moved the dial.
Appreciate 1
peteinpa398.50
      07-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #21
bvincent
Rep

Quote:
How long have you had the JB+?
About a month, bought it as soon as I bought the car and installed it immediately. Then installed the BMS intake about a week later, it was a couple days after the BMS intake that I noticed the HP and Torque gauges changed to 480.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
bvincent
Rep

Quote:
You sure you didn't have MPPK installed?
Don't believe so as the car has the stock exhaust with the valves (I use bimmerlink to open the other exhaust valve), and the car was definitely showing 400 for both HP and torque when purchased, it was after installing the JB+ and the BMS intake that they changed to 480.
Appreciate 0