F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Idrive 5/6 retrofit
GetBMWParts

12-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #1
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xdrive

Idrive 5/6 retrofit

In order upgrade to idrive 5/6 from a 4 what would I need ? I notice that I would need to replace the unit. Will it be plug and play or coding would be needed?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6sp

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacky View Post
In order upgrade to idrive 5/6 from a 4 what would I need ? I notice that I would need to replace the unit. Will it be plug and play or coding would be needed?
Someone correct if wrong but I do believe coding is necessary to get it completely working. Other than that i think you also need the ATM module because it doesn't just use the regular gps

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1356549
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightf30 View Post
Quote:
Someone correct if wrong but I do believe coding is necessary to get it completely working. Other than that i think you also need the ATM module because it doesn't just use the regular gps

Is there a specific unit I would have to buy or just the ones that say idrive 5/6
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #4
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is there a specific unit I would have to buy or just the ones that say idrive 5/6
You've got it right but what does your car currently have and what year is it

This is just an example btw
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You've got it right but what does your car currently have and what year is it

This is just an example btw
I'm not sure what it has right now I can't get the idrive to pull the version info up but it's 2014
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I was just wondering but it's it's NBT from factory with the bigger touch controller/handwriting it should already have kcan2
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #7
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was just wondering but it's it's NBT from factory with the bigger touch controller/handwriting it should already have kcan2
I have the bigger screen and the controller. Mine comes with nav
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yea you should be good then, I'd hit up some more people to double check but I did a nbt retrofit BUT I did research in evo too since it was an option, so should be atm /nbt evo for sure but I'm unsure of the other supporting things you need for it I'm assuming the controller will work
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:09 AM   #9
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yea you should be good then, I'd hit up some more people to double check but I did a nbt retrofit BUT I did research in evo too since it was an option, so should be atm /nbt evo for sure but I'm unsure of the other supporting things you need for it I'm assuming the controller will work
Would this one work and for apple CarPlay would I need something to attach to it to work?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 12:45 PM   #10
justanurse
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I believe that it's necessary to have a legit FSC code for apple car play and you should really check the vin of those units to see what option codes that car came with, I would personally look into posting in one of the BIGGER threads of people that have ACTUALLY done the retrofit because I did a NBT retrofit, not a NBT EVO retrofit. For my retrofit my only option if I want connected drive, apps, and such is to retrofit a TCB unit in the trunk which has a sim card and still has a active subscription to connected drive, which i would then have to write the vin of that unit to my nbt(with emulator) and I'm personally not even sure if that would work because I have not done it yet. I do not know what is necessary to for the NBT EVO to receive service because I don't know where the sim/if it even has a sim to begin with because I do not know if they updated that technology also. See look at all those I dont knows LOL; go double back with a legit guide thread or shawn/steve/whoever else might have better insight.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 11:14 PM   #11
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Reach out to Steve @ Codemybimmer. I have a 2014 like you; equipped with NBT. Per Steve, going to ID5/6 means you'll lose all telematics (Real Time traffic, Connected Drive app to lock/unlock your car etc), and, you'll need a new screen.

Think hard and a do a lot more research before you go out and just buy a new headunit.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #12
cjacky
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Reach out to Steve @ Codemybimmer. I have a 2014 like you; equipped with NBT. Per Steve, going to ID5/6 means you'll lose all telematics (Real Time traffic, Connected Drive app to lock/unlock your car etc), and, you'll need a new screen.

Think hard and a do a lot more research before you go out and just buy a new headunit.
I have the 8.8" screen right now, would I still have to upgrade it? I contacted the eBay seller and he said all I'll need is to code it and that'll be it
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

I too have the 8.8" screen.

Send Steve at Codemybimmer a private message. You'll get clarity on your queries and save yourself a LOT of hassle long term.

What the eBay seller is telling you doesn't sound correct. He's likely motivated to move his product. Probably won't give a rats ass once he has your money.

Can someone please link Steve's username to this thread; I don't know how to.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #14
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
I have the 8.8" screen right now, would I still have to upgrade it? I contacted the eBay seller and he said all I'll need is to code it and that'll be it
No, your old screen will work with evo. The screen with NBT is apix1, early evos units used apix1 and then switched to apix2. The evo unit you buy will most likely be apix2, but it can be coded to apix1. You may (most likely will) need to add a voltage regulator on the power connector, but you can get one on Amazon. For less than 20 bucks.

There are 3 values you need to code to switch between apix1 and apix2, it's very easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #15
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
No, your old screen will work with evo. The screen with NBT is apix1, early evos units used apix1 and then switched to apix2. The evo unit you buy will most likely be apix2, but it can be coded to apix1. You may (most likely will) need to add a voltage regulator on the power connector, but you can get one on Amazon. For less than 20 bucks.

There are 3 values you need to code to switch between apix1 and apix2, it's very easy.
I really would not recommend this solution as the display quality will look very fuzzy compared to having a full fledged ID5/ID6 screen.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #16
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Check out this thread - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bim...10289866&amp=1

This is the voltage regulator that I used. https://www.amazon.com/Aweking-Water...-PL&ref=plSrch
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #17
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
I really would not recommend this solution as the display quality will look very fuzzy compared to having a full fledged ID5/ID6 screen.
I've been using my apix1 NBT screen for 2 years with my NBT2 evo unit for 2 years with PERFECT clarity and zero issues. Are you saying a 1280×480 resolution on an 8x8 screen is "fuzzy"?

There is absolutely no reason for anyone capable of splicing 2 wires together, and capable of simple esys coding to switch out a perfectly good apix1 screen for an apix2 screen. By "fuzzy" you mean that apix2 is capable of higher resolutions. Switching to evo does not make the NBT screen perform at a lesser ability, it will perform at the same level as it did with NBT.

Anyone with nbt wanting to upgrade to evo, who does not find their screen fuzzy, can easily reuse their screen with evo, by adding a 12v to 9v voltage regulator, and coding a few variables.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:33 PM   #18
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
I understand that there is a real need for professional coders, not everyone has the expertise to code their own vehicles, or the time that it takes to learn how. Many people SHOULD NOT go the DIY route, and should avail themselves of those who truly know what they are doing. Again I say I completely understand that.

The above post crosses the line. The above post is beyond deceptive, it is borderline BS. The poster who questioned reusing their apix1 screen with an evo unit appeared fine with the requirement of coding their unit, so why imply their screen will look fuzzy if they reuse it? It's the same screen, it will perform at the same level. Yes apix2 are capable of higher resolutions, but in no way will an apix1 look fuzzy.

I understand your need to make money, and I understand you provide a very valuable service, but it's just not right to post intentionally deceptive information in the hope of making a sale.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 04:36 AM   #19
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
I understand that there is a real need for professional coders, not everyone has the expertise to code their own vehicles, or the time that it takes to learn how. Many people SHOULD NOT go the DIY route, and should avail themselves of those who truly know what they are doing. Again I say I completely understand that.

The above post crosses the line. The above post is beyond deceptive, it is borderline BS. The poster who questioned reusing their apix1 screen with an evo unit appeared fine with the requirement of coding their unit, so why imply their screen will look fuzzy if they reuse it? It's the same screen, it will perform at the same level. Yes apix2 are capable of higher resolutions, but in no way will an apix1 look fuzzy.

I understand your need to make money, and I understand you provide a very valuable service, but it's just not right to post intentionally deceptive information in the hope of making a sale.
Please don't take my last post as deceptive as I never mentioned that it would not work. We simply just don't recommend this method as the display quality would not be on par with a NBT EVO screen and in addition, this adds for another component to potentially fail.

There are actually two types of APIX1 screens - those that are meant for the NBT HU and those that are for ID4 NBT EVO HU. The latter will work with the coding changes you mentioned and will not require a voltage regulator. The display quality will also be about the same as a APIX2 screen. If you had a chance to look at a NBT 8.8" screen and a 8.8" NBT EVO screen, you will notice that the latter has much better color depth and is more crisp.

We've used voltage converters in the past and we really don't prefer to use those as this would give the customer another component that could potentially fail.

In a profitability standpoint, it would actually be better using the existing NBT screen with the voltage converter as NBT EVO screens are very difficult to source and this would help us move units faster. Keep in mind though, that we uphold a very high standard as our customers would expect nothing less than that.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs

Last edited by steve@codemybimmer; 12-12-2018 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0