BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i Comfort Access Issues

05-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #1
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i MSport

540i Comfort Access Issues

I took my 2017 540i to BMW services because I've been having issues with the comfort access and the key fob range. I'll share the end result first: The service advisor told me that my window tints MIGHT because be causing issues with the key connecting to the car. I wonder if anyone has had this issue before...

So when I try and use comfort access and my key is in my pocket, the door will not open. same with locking it by touching the side of the door handle.

OR when I am in the car it sometimes doesn't start while saying the key isn't found.

OR when I try and open the trunk I have to press the button several times until it opens.

...how can tints cause the key not to work while it is sitting on my lap... The service tech said we can't do anything further until you remove the tints which cost $400. So I'm under warranty and you are telling me because it might be the tints (which I've had for the last 7 months) I have to get it removed before you can do more tests. The tech was also rude and said BMW isn't going to give you a $400 brand new key if we can't reproduce the problem. After I mentioned how much the tints cost.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have another appointment with a different BMW tech in a different location. the tech said there is no way tints stop the car from starting or the range of the key. it worked fine for 7 months and now I'm here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
nlkccom
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis3 View Post
I took my 2017 540i to BMW services because I've been having issues with the comfort access and the key fob range. I'll share the end result first: The service advisor told me that my window tints MIGHT because be causing issues with the key connecting to the car. I wonder if anyone has had this issue before...

So when I try and use comfort access and my key is in my pocket, the door will not open. same with locking it by touching the side of the door handle.

OR when I am in the car it sometimes doesn't start while saying the key isn't found.

OR when I try and open the trunk I have to press the button several times until it opens.

...how can tints cause the key not to work while it is sitting on my lap... The service tech said we can't do anything further until you remove the tints which cost $400. So I'm under warranty and you are telling me because it might be the tints (which I've had for the last 7 months) I have to get it removed before you can do more tests. The tech was also rude and said BMW isn't going to give you a $400 brand new key if we can't reproduce the problem. After I mentioned how much the tints cost.

Oh I forgot to mention that I have another appointment with a different BMW tech in a different location. the tech said there is no way tints stop the car from starting or the range of the key. it worked fine for 7 months and now I'm here.
I can't imagine the tint will have an effect of the key fob range. I had mine tinted with 18 carbon, and the key fob works the same before and after the tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlkccom View Post
Quote:

I can't imagine the tint will have an effect of the key fob range. I had mine tinted with 18 carbon, and the key fob works the same before and after the tint.
Quote:
Quote:

Yes that might be it, but not all tinting films are created equal. It seems our highly wired and complex vehicles rely on their sensors to have just the right amount of light/visibility so these features can work properly.

Interesting developments OP, please keep us posted and hopefully the issue can be easily sorted.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes that might be it, but not all tinting films are created equal. It seems our highly wired and complex vehicles rely on their sensors to have just the right amount of light/visibility so these features can work properly.

Interesting developments OP, please keep us posted and hopefully the issue can be easily sorted.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

It worked fine for 7 months. I can't trust that it's the issue. maybe my wife dropped my key or something. but will keep you all posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Question, do you experience the same issue with the spare key?

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Question, do you experience the same issue with the spare key?
The spare key hasn't been working right ever since my wife dropped it. So I don't use that one often. It works but the range is bad, but it starts the car with no issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 08:28 PM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

That is a BS answer.
This car is so complicated and have multiple sensors.

There is CA sensors by the trunk and sides of the car.
External antenna for keyfob receiver.
Internal sensors for Keyfob detection.

The tint may only reduce your Cellular reception and it may reduce the distance of Keyfob signal.
But, not when you are next to the car and touching the door handle or sitting inside the car trying to start the engine.

I hope another dealership has better answer and solution for you.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #8
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
That is a BS answer.

The tint may only reduce your Cellular reception and it may reduce the distance of Keyfob signal.
But, not when you are next to the car and touching the door handle or sitting inside the car trying to start the engine.

That is what I thought. And when I first got the vehicle tinted I used to unlock my car from my apartment and walk more than 100 feet and down to my basement parking spot. So I called BS as soon as he said that.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #9
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
That is a BS answer.

I dunno; this diagram seems to show there is only one external sensor and it’s if you have remote parking. Everything else looks within the vehicle cabin (even the “outside door sill” isn’t visibly mounted outside, so it’s behind some metal somewhere). I know certain tints can cause reception issues.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2644

The cellular antenna should be in the fin on the roof, with gps etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Quote:
That is a BS answer.

I dunno; this diagram seems to show there is only one external sensor and it’s if you have remote parking. Everything else looks within the vehicle cabin (even the “outside door sill” isn’t visibly mounted outside, so it’s behind some metal somewhere). I know certain tints can cause reception issues.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=65_2644

The cellular antenna should be in the fin on the roof, with gps etc.
Based on the parts diagram, there are 3x sensors #1 and 2x sensors #2.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 11:03 PM   #11
basementman
Rep
Drives: 2017 G30 540iXdrive

I was having similar issues with one of our two keys, although it would always start the car once inside. The dealer was able to test the transmitting power and range and it was determined the key was defective, even though it had been working fine for seven months. They replaced the key. We do not have tints.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Can't they just test with the windows down? Tints wouldn't be blocking anything that way...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #13
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

sounds like BS BUT what type of tint did you use and what strength?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
sounds like BS BUT what type of tint did you use and what strength?
I can't remember the exact tint that I used... It wasn't anything super fancy. But I know it was 30%.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:53 AM   #15
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Can't they just test with the windows down? Tints wouldn't be blocking anything that way...
The tech said they couldn't reproduce the issue. So they didn't even need to test it with the windows down. I tried it and no difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Some of the doors are playing up when opening them etc now. Not too sure but will keep an eye on it over the next few days and report back... FYI we only have sun protection glass in the back so no tint issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:50 AM   #17
Short540
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X50i  [0.00]
Keys

I had same problem with both of my keys. The range was terrible. It only worked standing a few feet away. Dealer replaced one key and it has worked ever since. He didn't replace the other key though. I guess they figured replacing one was enough. I believe my other key still acts up
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

Same problem. Range is no where near comfort access in previous model years. Dealer ran system for faults and everything pointed to the driver's handle. New one ordered from Germany, same problems. Owners manual says you need to stand close to the door for comfort access. Was expecting more than 10 inches. May revisit for the FOBS next time I'm in for service.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #19
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post
Same problem. Range is no where near comfort access in previous model years. Dealer ran system for faults and everything pointed to the driver's handle. New one ordered from Germany, same problems. Owners manual says you need to stand close to the door for comfort access. Was expecting more than 10 inches. May revisit for the FOBS next time I'm in for service.
FWIW.. I can unlock it (a bit concerning) 3 floors up from my car.. but I wouldn't consider that comfort access. One in the same I know, but I think of CA as the ability to unlock touch/etc on the door handles, something that would require me to be.. touching the car and not any distance away. Unlocking/locking from a distance I just think of ye old key fob functionality from 1995. Not sure if it's all the same antennas or not, would make sense that it is.
      05-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #20
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

So I have an appointment set up for next week to get my key "reprogrammed"... I'm interested to see how this goes because they last BMW shop said "Keys cannot be reprogrammed." I already got a better vibe from this BMW, the tech said it is unacceptable that the other tech said it was my tints. I'll have to update yall next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #21
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: My car is in the BMW shop and I just got a call from the tech saying that my tints could possibly be the issue because they can't reproduce the problem. So after having my car for 7 months all a sudden the key has come susceptible to the dark tint?! I'm confused. And they can't offer any other sort of tests or solutions that will fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #22
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
UPDATE: My car is in the BMW shop and I just got a call from the tech saying that my tints could possibly be the issue because they can't reproduce the problem. So after having my car for 7 months all a sudden the key has come susceptible to the dark tint?! I'm confused. And they can't offer any other sort of tests or solutions that will fix the problem.
I can see how that could possibly be an issue with opening the door but I don't see how a tint can impact on starting the car when you are inside. That sounds like total BS.
Appreciate 0