BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions BMW NA asked for my initial impressions....

01-22-2019, 01:53 PM   #45
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
Are you shuffling the playlist? Just a thought.
I thought about that and I don't think it's shuffled...but then I can't see that in idrive. Or maybe I can and haven't found it. But even so, I'd still expect that directly choosing a song would take me to that song, no?
One would think so. Perhaps (if you are shuffling) when you select the next song iDrive might be taking it as in go to the next song. It might have something to do with Spotify and it's integration with CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #46
gooselee
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Quote:
One would think so. Perhaps (if you are shuffling) when you select the next song iDrive might be taking it as in go to the next song. It might have something to do with Spotify and it's integration with CarPlay.
Yeah. Anyway, I'm just happy that I can get Spotify to play at all. The Spotify/ConnectedDrive integration is shaky at best, and the Spotify app itself is a hot mess most of the time even outside the car.

Maybe I just need to better curate my playlists!
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #47
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Do you have HUD?

Having presets or a rotary dial on the iDrive display is obsolete with HUD.

There's just no reason for it.

It's sort of like complaining about not having a rotary dial with your iPhone.

Also 19" wheels aren't a G30 specific issue.
Personal preference. I like hearing static between known stations.

Gee, didn't think any other cars have 19" wheels....
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #48
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I thought about that and I don't think it's shuffled...but then I can't see that in idrive. Or maybe I can and haven't found it. But even so, I'd still expect that directly choosing a song would take me to that song, no?
It's probably in random mode. I actually use one of the presets for that. Because I like to switch between random and non-random mode when listening to my iPod (which by the way is plugged in, no bluetooth music for me).
      01-22-2019, 08:31 PM   #49
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
Do you have HUD?

Having presets or a rotary dial on the iDrive display is obsolete with HUD.

There's just no reason for it.

It's sort of like complaining about not having a rotary dial with your iPhone.

Also 19" wheels aren't a G30 specific issue.
Personal preference. I like hearing static between known stations.

Gee, didn't think any other cars have 19" wheels....
I believe 18" is the standard size with 19" and 20" as options.

I believe the radio rotary dial in the iDrive is cute but no replacement for the analog radio car tuners of yesteryear. With HD radio support, not much interest in my part to hear the static

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
clee1982799.00
      01-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #50
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

I finally worked out the radio off/door open puzzle. If you press the engine button before undoing your seatbelt then everything will turn off when you open the door. If on the other hand you undo your seatbelt before pressing the engine button then the radio will stay on when you open the door.
Appreciate 2
      01-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #51
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
I finally worked out the radio off/door open puzzle. If you press the engine button before undoing your seatbelt then everything will turn off when you open the door. If on the other hand you undo your seatbelt before pressing the engine button then the radio will stay on when you open the door.
In BMWSpeak, turing off the car is called putting it in Idle State, page 39 of the manual; it tells you how to set the car to go off when a door is opened. I am surprised to hear that you have discovered that it is related to the seatbelt, as I have not had that issue. Pushing the start/stop button then waiting 2 seconds seems to solve my problems with it. Also, if there is something on one of the seats, the car thinks it is a passenger and waits to shut off on the opening of the passenger's door. My bag of groceries in the front seat keeps it from shutting off sometimes.--Bob
      01-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #52
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
In BMWSpeak, turing off the car is called putting it in Idle State, page 39 of the manual; it tells you how to set the car to go off when a door is opened. I am surprised to hear that you have discovered that it is related to the seatbelt, as I have not had that issue. Pushing the start/stop button then waiting 2 seconds seems to solve my problems with it. Also, if there is something on one of the seats, the car thinks it is a passenger and waits to shut off on the opening of the passenger's door. My bag of groceries in the front seat keeps it from shutting off sometimes.--Bob
Turn off car how you like. Exit vehicle. Lock doors with remote. Problem solved!
Appreciate 2
clee1982799.00
Warp Ten673.50
      01-23-2019, 07:04 PM   #53
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
I believe 18" is the standard size with 19" and 20" as options.

I believe the radio rotary dial in the iDrive is cute but no replacement for the analog radio car tuners of yesteryear. With HD radio support, not much interest in my part to hear the static
The rotary dial brings in more distant stations. Driving in rural Georgia, I don't mind the analog type experience at all.

PL
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      01-23-2019, 07:27 PM   #54
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Turn off car how you like. Exit vehicle. Lock doors with remote. Problem solved!
+1, that's what I did, it was actually embarrassing, on the first day I pick up the car and park in the garage, took me over 15 minutes to know how to "turn off" the car completely, was about to phone my dealer actually, since then just stick to the "lock the door with remote method..."
Appreciate 1