BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Intelligent safety and hard braking ..

02-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
naylon
Private
Rep
Drives: M3 / G30 530ix

Intelligent safety and hard braking ..

Intelligent safety kicked in all of a sudden in the middle of the highway at 30 mph. Car braked all of a sudden.

A week later, at 10 mph, a man was walking next to my car and Intelligent Safety kicked in violently.

I did not wash my G30 for the last 50 days, maybe the camera got dirty?

I was stressed once the car braked so hard as the car behind me could have hit me...

I decreased the sensitivity of intelligent safety and washed the camera (front wind shield)

Did anyone experience the same problem where Intelligent Safety kicked in all of a sudden?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I haven't had it kicked in for real yet other once where one bus comes ridiculous into my way and the whole car just beep left and right...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
^^^ same here... haven't had it kicked into once. Even at the most sensitive setting, I find that it is not as sensitive as the warnings in the Mercedes.

It only gives visual warnings pretty late, and audible warning is even later... in a Mercedes, it only has an audible warning and it appears to be much more sensitive, which I actually like.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

13 months in and never happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by naylon View Post
Intelligent safety kicked in all of a sudden in the middle of the highway at 30 mph. Car braked all of a sudden.

A week later, at 10 mph, a man was walking next to my car and Intelligent Safety kicked in violently.

I did not wash my G30 for the last 50 days, maybe the camera got dirty?

I was stressed once the car braked so hard as the car behind me could have hit me...

I decreased the sensitivity of intelligent safety and washed the camera (front wind shield)

Did anyone experience the same problem where Intelligent Safety kicked in all of a sudden?
I got my car washed a few weeks ago, and the guy put the car in reverse and let go of the brake which caused my car to stop 3 or 4 times and he was freaking out. There was something he was about to run over on the ground like a towel or something.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      03-04-2019, 01:24 PM   #6
XxLHCxX
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 530i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I got my car washed a few weeks ago, and the guy put the car in reverse and let go of the brake which caused my car to stop 3 or 4 times and he was freaking out. There was something he was about to run over on the ground like a towel or something.
OOOOOO the reversing auto brake feature had happen a few times, especially when there is snow and its covering the sensors... freaked me out a few times... So I currently disabled that feature...

But in terms of going forward, never happened to me before.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
HandyAndy1960
Registered
Rep

I have had my 530e for six months and covered some 5000 miles, system has triggered on numerous occasions but never braked by itself.... until last Wednesday. I was on a clear road, no traffic or pedestrians, weather was good and dry, car was clean. I was travelling at about 25-30 mph on a road I use every day on my way to work when suddenly the car did a full emergency stop all by itself. I reported this to BMW and they have taken the car into a local dealer where it’s has been for over a week. They have apparently updated all of the ‘modules’ with the latest software and road tested the car. I’m not sure I will ever feel the same about the car as I will never really know if the fault has been cured. I wanted to be able to turn the system off as I feel that the safety system is a safety issue in itself, but BMW will not do this as it’s a safety system!
This is my ninth BMW on the trot and I feel it may be my last.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #8
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy1960 View Post
I have had my 530e for six months and covered some 5000 miles, system has triggered on numerous occasions but never braked by itself.... until last Wednesday. I was on a clear road, no traffic or pedestrians, weather was good and dry, car was clean. I was travelling at about 25-30 mph on a road I use every day on my way to work when suddenly the car did a full emergency stop all by itself. I reported this to BMW and they have taken the car into a local dealer where it’s has been for over a week. They have apparently updated all of the ‘modules’ with the latest software and road tested the car. I’m not sure I will ever feel the same about the car as I will never really know if the fault has been cured. I wanted to be able to turn the system off as I feel that the safety system is a safety issue in itself, but BMW will not do this as it’s a safety system!
All cars with these sensors experience this to some degree, or better said they have the possibility of experiencing this, and there was an extensive write up in the WSJ recently looking at this across manufacturers.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-auto...003cb338b6de7f

The safety systems are great, but they aren't yet fully capable of replacing human drivers and can be impacted by a variety of factors. Having a clean car is a must as dirty sensors can cause problems, but as the BMW manual notes so can certain conditions.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.45.08 PM.jpg
Views: 1482
Size:  168.4 KB

You can also disable any of the systems individually or all at once via the button in the car or in your profile. Honestly, it only makes sense to read the manual if you're operating a car with these systems so you can actually understand how they work...

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 4.48.41 PM.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  123.8 KB
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      09-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

in my former car (F01) the brake warning and activation was far too sensitive, even when set to "late", so I often turned it off. The G30, so far, is not nearly as sensitive.

False alarms are not unknown and I read about it in Car & Driver as well. Personally, I don't like the system, but then I also don't like the blind-spot monitor but yet it saved me once (I wasn't paying enough attention) so I do see the benefit to these systems and leave them on most of the time.

I fear for us when these systems get older and more sensors, wiring, computers, etc. start to fail.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

You can see why cars like this get written off for seemingly minor damage as the cost to fix the electronics will be prohibitive several years down the toad.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
You can see why cars like this get written off for seemingly minor damage as the cost to fix the electronics will be prohibitive several years down the toad.
This would cover all modern cars?

New Toyota cars all come with radar based cruise control, blind spot detection, etc as standard equipment.

https://www.toyota.com/safety-sense/

Once the body shops re-tool the costs to repair will come down again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #12
HandyAndy1960
Registered
Rep

Quote:

Latest update on this, it appears there was a fault in the software, system reported on the morning of the incident that the camera had become obscured ( probably early morning dew), when this happens the system should switch off, but it didn’t and activated due to false information. Car has now been updated with latest software and is being test driven for 500 miles by the dealer to make sure fault has been cured.
I’m not filled with confidence here !!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Latest update on this, it appears there was a fault in the software, system reported on the morning of the incident that the camera had become obscured ( probably early morning dew), when this happens the system should switch off, but it didn’t and activated due to false information. Car has now been updated with latest software and is being test driven for 500 miles by the dealer to make sure fault has been cured.
500 miles? That's a lot of warranty time burned and miles put on in a manner you have no idea how they are putting them on by driving "hard" or whatever. If leasing, I probably wouldn't care too much, but since I only buy and don't lease that hit to warranty time and unknown wear and tear would bother me a bit.

That being said, as I noted above the manual notes the issues with glare and whatnot. In the worst conditions for that I'd consider turning the systems off and back on. According to the manual this is easily done by holding the button for a few seconds. It is well worth the read...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
Warp Ten
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540xi

Quote:
Sounds like someone sold you a 737 MAX...Bob
      09-29-2019, 02:15 AM   #15
HandyAndy1960
Registered
Rep

I’ve got the car back now and sure enough they have test driven it for 500 miles, I managed to get them to install me a BMW Car Eye system (front and rear) free of charge so if it does misbehave and I get squashed by a truck, at least they will be able to see why!

So far though, it has not triggered once, so maybe all you guys should check with the dealer to see if the software does need to be upgraded. My car isn’t a year old yet so there must be a lot of cars with older software.
Appreciate 0