BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Bmw windshield vs oem windshield

01-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 540xi

Bmw windshield vs oem windshield

Has anyone replaced windshield with oem windshield. Bmw wanted $2200 for a bmw windshield
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve090619 View Post
Has anyone replaced windshield with oem windshield. Bmw wanted $2200 for a bmw windshield
An OEM windshield would be the same thing as a BMW windshield. I don't understand your question.
Appreciate 2
      01-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
ExGMan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530ex

I think what the OP is asking is if an OEM windshield made by the same manufacturer as the original BMW windshield is as good as the original. This is how "Ace Auto Parts" defines the difference:

"OEM. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) parts are built by the company that initially made the parts for the auto manufacturer. The OEM parts we carry are precisely the same as the part that came with your car. The difference is that it doesn’t carry the manufacturer’s logo. OEM parts are just as reliable as genuine parts, but you get them for a better value."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
instalher
25cent millionaire
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m4 comp vert

Garage List
2020 bmw  [0.00]
  [9.00]
  [0.00]
  [9.50]
2018 bmw 230i xdrive  [8.50]
glass is identical except it wont say bmw in the bottom right corner of the glass..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wouldn't use anything generic, especially if you have a head-up display. To each his own though.
Appreciate 4
      01-14-2020, 09:05 PM   #6
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualGuitars View Post
I wouldn't use anything generic, especially if you have a head-up display. To each his own though.
Quote:
Has anyone replaced with an oem windshield. I had my lexus replaced with an oem, warping in the corners when you look. I don't want this to happen in the bmw
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:24 AM   #7
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

I went through this decision process and couldn't get a non-stratospheric price for an OEM/BMW dealer so I finally went with Safelite for convenience (the local glass shop couldn't get the appointment straight and had one windshield come in cracked - very frustrating). The dealer wanted the money up front and then I had to haggle with my insurance. They wouldn't even call my insurance as requested.

The much more reasonable and insurance-covered "generic" windshield has been great so far, including for my heads-up display and rain-sensing wipers. I also get a much better warranty on the glass.

OEM BMW glass also seems to pit prematurely - when driving into the sun its really obvious - as with my last 2 BMW's. We'll see about the new glass, but so far so good!
Appreciate 2
hlothery481.50
      01-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #8
CLP21
Rep
Drives: 2020 m550i, 2018 X5, 2014 535i

Recently swapped to Safelite glass on my wife’s 2018 X5 after chip in BMW glass.

No difference in performance after 2 months.
Appreciate 2
hlothery481.50
      01-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Just had a friend go with Safelite on his 340, and it was much less expensive, covered by insurance, works perfectly, and the calibration was a breeze. No reason, IMHO, to pay $2200 at the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #10
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Just had a friend go with Safelite on his 340, and it was much less expensive, covered by insurance, works perfectly, and the calibration was a breeze. No reason, IMHO, to pay $2200 at the dealer.
I'm not sure if this is BS or not, but the dealer told me Safelite doesn't always change the rain sensors out which they say is generally required when you replace the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Has anyone replaced with an oem windshield. I had my lexus replaced with an oem, warping in the corners when you look. I don't want this to happen in the bmw
I went through this on my prior car...a 330e with a HUD. But I was replacing the windshield before returning the car to BMW. I used Safelite and they allegedly used OEM glass. Afterwards everything worked but the HUD seemed to display slightly less well. I didn't care because I was just returning the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is BS or not, but the dealer told me Safelite doesn't always change the rain sensors out which they say is generally required when you replace the windshield.
They left the original rain sensing apparatus in. Said it was unnecessary to replace. Their warranty would supposedly cover it if something went wrong. BMW dealer wanted $300 for the part alone....
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:01 PM   #13
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Quote:
They left the original rain sensing apparatus in. Said it was unnecessary to replace. Their warranty would supposedly cover it if something went wrong. BMW dealer wanted $300 for the part alone....
The dealership told me, from a guy I trust, that it's recommended to change it every time the windshield is replaced. He said they are extremely sensitive and often to get damaged upon reinstallation.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
CLP21
Rep

Quote:
The dealership told me, from a guy I trust, that it's recommended to change it every time the windshield is replaced. He said they are extremely sensitive and often to get damaged upon reinstallation.
I’m confused VG have you swapped your windshield out and had issues? Seems some of the the people posting above have swapped to non BMW without issue. Speaking from experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:27 PM   #15
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP21 View Post
Quote:
I’m confused VG have you swapped your windshield out and had issues? Seems some of the the people posting above have swapped to non BMW without issue. Speaking from experience?
Yes I'm speaking from experience – recently on my son's car. Some insurance policies will cover it, others will not. Progressive offers a windshield policy add-on. For what it would cost, you could replace the windshield once a year and it would be about the same. Naturally this will differ from vehicle to vehicle.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with non-BMW glass; however, my take is that if you can afford the car, you can afford using original parts. Will it cost more? Probably. I just like going to the dealership for everything so there's only one place to hold accountable.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
CLP21
Rep

Quote:
Yes I'm speaking from experience – recently on my son's car. Some insurance policies will cover it, others will not. Progressive offers a windshield policy add-on. For what it would cost, you could replace the windshield once a year and it would be about the same. Naturally this will differ from vehicle to vehicle.

I'm not saying anything is wrong with non-BMW glass; however, my take is that if you can afford the car, you can afford using original parts. Will it cost more? Probably. I just like going to the dealership for everything so there's only one place to hold accountable.
Agree with to each their own. Love this forum because of all of the knowledgeable contributors and that does not include me as a newbie. In the spirit of adding alternative options I would contend that some may be able to afford the car because they choose “only the best” for certain things in life and try to save money when possible or reasonable. Regardless multiple opinions have been offered on a niche product. That’s why this place is such a great resource.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP21 View Post
Quote:

Agree with to each their own. Love this forum because of all of the knowledgeable contributors and that does not include me as a newbie. In the spirit of adding alternative options I would contend that some may be able to afford the car because they choose “only the best” for certain things in life and try to save money when possible or reasonable. Regardless multiple opinions have been offered on a niche product. That’s why this place is such a great resource.
I'm in my late 40s, so I don't want any doubts in my mind if something is done correctly whether it's a windshield or something else that might be cheaper elsewhere. If there are any issues, I'm going straight to one place without the need for a bunch of finger-pointing.

I agree with you, this place is a great resource for information. I have learned a lot in the year I've been a member.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:21 PM   #18
GTFISH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i

I had a windshield replaced with factory glass and it was around $1600 at a glass shop vs. the $2300 the dealer quoted for the same glass. Price included some other misc items they had to replace because of the rain sensor and cameras.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #19
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTFISH View Post
I had a windshield replaced with factory glass and it was around $1600 at a glass shop vs. the $2300 the dealer quoted for the same glass. Price included some other misc items they had to replace because of the rain sensor and cameras.
You always have the option of filing a claim with your insurance company, but then a claim goes against you in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:25 AM   #20
steve090619
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You always have the option of filing a claim with your insurance company, but then a claim goes against you in the long run.
Quote:
Quote:
I am going to file a claim. I was at bmw for something else and asked them about replacing my windshield. As soon as $2300 came out of his mouth, I said I will go somewhere else. It would have been convenient to have it done there. I am sure they out source
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #21
Bklynjoker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 %E2%80%9C22%E2%80%9D MSpor

I've had my windshield replaced by safelite. I made sure they used Bmw parts n not their less expensive n option. My factory glass 2019 didn't have ConnectedDrive in white font on the rear view area outside, this new glass did. Total I paid $60 or $75 going through glass insurance geico. The invoice they paid was somewhere close to $2,300.
      01-17-2020, 02:53 AM   #22
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Quote:
I had mine done. Completed by safelite using OEM windshield. Who is your insurance provider, what's wrong with it and what's your question. I messed mine up, but was able to get it done for free.
Appreciate 0