BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery 2022 pricing guide

06-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #1
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

2022 pricing guide

I was able to get a look at the pricing guide for the 2022 5 series. It has all the packages and options available for the MY22.
One of the glaring omissions was the Parking Assistant Plus package and 360° cameras were completely missing.
I asked my sales rep about it and he said he'd ask his rep about it.
Today he got back to me and showed me this... I cropped the part about the PAP.

Has anyone else heard this?
DAP seems like a basic feature. How can it not be part of a $60k+ car?
Attached Images

Last edited by ForensicBimmer; 06-04-2021 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:20 PM   #2
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

I am guessing this is a consequence of the chip shortage
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:27 PM   #3
oilandgas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550, 2018 DB11

Or maybe it was added to standard equipment?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Any way to see the full pricing guide online?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I have the full guide on my phone for the 5 series. It's not in the STD equipment. I triple checked. So did the rep.
I just can't believe this what they'd decide to pull from on the chip shortage?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #6
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Standard equipment
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
BD550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i Tanzanite Blue

Garage List
Thanks, I agree it would hard to believe to not have that functionality as standard or as option.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicBimmer View Post
I have the full guide on my phone for the 5 series. It's not in the STD equipment. I triple checked. So did the rep.
I just can't believe this what they'd decide to pull from on the chip shortage?
Any chance you can post the entire MY22 order guide?
      06-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
No 360 cameras? Yikes.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
No 360 cameras? Yikes.
Agreed. But we don't yet know if the surround cameras may/may not be offered as a stand alone option. Sure hope they are or become part of another package.
      06-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #11
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Agreed. But we don't yet know if the surround cameras may/may not be offered as a stand alone option. Sure hope they are or become part of another package.
Haven’t they always been apart of the standalone Parking Assistance Plus package?

It could be the result of the semiconductor shortage that has forced car makers to prioritize higher tier models over lower tier ones when allocating their limited number of semiconductors. It sounds like that may be happening here.

I am glad I’m not leasing is all I can say. As I’d really be unhappy being forced to buy a car in these times. Features are unpredictable and you’re being asked to take some painful haircuts for cars in this price bracket.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Haven't they always been apart of the standalone Parking Assistance Plus package?

It could be the result of the semiconductor shortage that has forced car makers to prioritize higher tier models over lower tier ones when allocating their limited number of semiconductors. It sounds like that may be happening here.

I am glad I'm not leasing is all I can say. As I'd really be unhappy being forced to buy a car in these times. Features are unpredictable and you're being asked to take some painful haircuts for cars in this price bracket.
MY17 G30 offered surround cameras and parking assist as part of DA+. I believe the Parking Package started MY18.

My point is I only care about the cameras. The parking assist is useless to me. I've used it a few times and find it frustrating. Even on my MY21 G12, slightly better but still useless to me. I have no issues parallel parking myself as long as I have surround cameras.

I agree it's a troublesome time to be buying a car if you're picky about your build and expect a strong deal. Let's see how things progress through MY22. We may see some easing of restrictions in November or March. I'll be in the market for a new car early in MY23, so I'm hopeful things improve. And Covid issues continue to decline worldwide.....
      06-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #13
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
MY17 G30 offered surround cameras and parking assist as part of DA+. I believe the Parking Package started MY18.

My point is I only care about the cameras. The parking assist is useless to me. I've used it a few times and find it frustrating. Even on my MY21 G12, slightly better but still useless to me. I have no issues parallel parking myself as long as I have surround cameras.

I agree it's a troublesome time to be buying a car if you're picky about your build and expect a strong deal. Let's see how things progress through MY22. We may see some easing of restrictions in November or March. I'll be in the market for a new car early in MY23, so I'm hopeful things improve. And Covid issues continue to decline worldwide.....
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about the large package shuffling that happened after in MY2018+.

I think the Parking Assistant is OK at what it does in my MY2020. Not perfect by any stretch though. That being said, I doubt BMW could convince many people to buy the Parking Assistance feature on its own and that’s why they force bundle it with the cameras. The feature doesn’t use the cameras at all so they aren’t technically required for its functionality. But you can market the cameras to us and we can see tangible value there to buy it.

I hope it comes back at some point quickly though. As I think we’re in solid agreement. The cameras are a must have, but the automatic parking is a nice to have feature that is entirely optional in its use and value to anyone. IMHO the 360 camera should be standard on this car anyway, but I digress.

The sad part is the semiconductor shortage is estimated to take a few more years to sort itself out. My problem with it is that the cars themselves have become increasingly more tech driven and they are cutting features in who knows where places. We see it in the areas that are “consumer facing” like the loss of the cameras or the loss of HK Speakers, but we don’t yet see it in the internal components that they don’t usually share with us. It also all changes on a day by day basis since they embraced “JIT inventory*”. Cars in MY2021+ are a bit of a Frankenstein machine until the dust settles.

* Speaking of JIT inventory I remember when we were taught the value of this in my Supply Chain Economics course in Business School and I objected to the professor that this is a bad idea due to the risk that your supply is unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances. He quipped back that it would be impossible for a diversified supply chain to collapse. I’ve only been out of B-School since 2010 so 11 years isn’t that long for me to have been proven right…
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 10:07 PM   #14
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot about the large package shuffling that happened after in MY2018+.

I think the Parking Assistant is OK at what it does in my MY2020. Not perfect by any stretch though. That being said, I doubt BMW could convince many people to buy the Parking Assistance feature on its own and that's why they force bundle it with the cameras. The feature doesn't use the cameras at all so they aren't technically required for its functionality. But you can market the cameras to us and we can see tangible value there to buy it.

I hope it comes back at some point quickly though. As I think we're in solid agreement. The cameras are a must have, but the automatic parking is a nice to have feature that is entirely optional in its use and value to anyone. IMHO the 360 camera should be standard on this car anyway, but I digress.

The sad part is the semiconductor shortage is estimated to take a few more years to sort itself out. My problem with it is that the cars themselves have become increasingly more tech driven and they are cutting features in who knows where places. We see it in the areas that are "consumer facing" like the loss of the cameras or the loss of HK Speakers, but we don't yet see it in the internal components that they don't usually share with us. It also all changes on a day by day basis since they embraced "JIT inventory*". Cars in MY2021+ are a bit of a Frankenstein machine until the dust settles.

* Speaking of JIT inventory I remember when we were taught the value of this in my Supply Chain Economics course in Business School and I objected to the professor that this is a bad idea due to the risk that your supply is unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances. He quipped back that it would be impossible for a diversified supply chain to collapse. I've only been out of B-School since 2010 so 11 years isn't that long for me to have been proven right…
Ha. I bet your professor has a different viewpoint now. JIT seems to work well for auto manufacturers. It's widely used by all the majors.

I think what we're dealing with now goes a bit beyond the semi constraints. Covid destroyed some companies and/or key staff. Some of these companies were key to the availability of components, raw materials, etc. Labor is seriously constrained in the US and from what I read this issue extends elsewhere. Brexit came at an awkward time and the UK is very much part of the world supply chain. And, manufacturers have to be more cognizant of their workers today, providing appropriate distancing etc to keep everyone covid comfortable. Not easy to do on production lines.

Regarding the semi issue, both TSMC and UMC (two of the largest fabs) have already taken baby steps to work into their schedules some critical components that were on long lead time. I've read raw material shipments to these fabs has improved and is expected to continue to improve in the coming months..... None of this will completely fix the issue, and frankly I'm thrilled to see more fabs return to the US, EU, etc. in the coming years.

And the cost of some raw materials is out of control. Sure it will eventually come down, but how long will it take? And how long can suppliers and BMW absorb some of these increases?
      06-07-2021, 06:29 AM   #15
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
Feel bad for the entire industry from the guys that lost their jobs at the plants that create the smallest parts all the way down to the people who don't have a previous 5 series. They're stuck without options that are standard on cars at 1/2 to 1/4 the price we pay for these.
      06-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #16
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Ha. I bet your professor has a different viewpoint now. JIT seems to work well for auto manufacturers. It's widely used by all the majors.

I think what we're dealing with now goes a bit beyond the semi constraints. Covid destroyed some companies and/or key staff. Some of these companies were key to the availability of components, raw materials, etc. Labor is seriously constrained in the US and from what I read this issue extends elsewhere. Brexit came at an awkward time and the UK is very much part of the world supply chain. And, manufacturers have to be more cognizant of their workers today, providing appropriate distancing etc to keep everyone covid comfortable. Not easy to do on production lines.

Regarding the semi issue, both TSMC and UMC (two of the largest fabs) have already taken baby steps to work into their schedules some critical components that were on long lead time. I've read raw material shipments to these fabs has improved and is expected to continue to improve in the coming months..... None of this will completely fix the issue, and frankly I'm thrilled to see more fabs return to the US, EU, etc. in the coming years.

And the cost of some raw materials is out of control. Sure it will eventually come down, but how long will it take? And how long can suppliers and BMW absorb some of these increases?
Yeah I bet. I also had a long discussion with a professor during my globalization class that I thought it was a house of cards that would eventually have to end due to "fair trade" being anything but fair. She thought it was on point and we had some deeper discussions on my thoughts there. Looks like that is also proving true as globalization has been receding recently and this pandemic has likely greatly accelerated its demise. You're going to see more regionalization again which is why you're seeing new fabs being added in the US in the context of the silicon shortage we're discussing. A good thing overall.

In terms of JIT for car makers. It is only going to be left on paper. Mainly because the industry allowed other problems to erode their options (like allowing part makers to merge and merge so you really only have a few suppliers left owning everything). You're going to see more direct financial support from automakers to their suppliers to keep them afloat or to "secure" product ahead of production. Essentially, returning more to the old pre-JIT model without adding people to their books and allowing them on paper to say they're still "JIT". But the cost savings of the model are largely evaporating.

For luxury cars like BMW it is all making their job a lot harder. Cheaper cars are now getting more and more luxury features or leapfrogging luxury entirely. Buyers are less interested in the haggling model of car buying and want straight forward up front pricing and online shopping (makes it harder to use option matrixes as German makes do). Younger buyers are less excited about the "badge" of the traditional luxury makes and are more akin to see a Tesla as a step up than a BMW or a Mercedes. BMW and others are going to have an extremely hard time if this chip shortage lasts as long as many insiders are estimating.

The last respectable estimate I read suggested 2023 for this to start to look like it is over... Potentially impacting MY2021-MY2024 for BMW. That's a lot of impact. Especially when you're pulling features that buyers have come to expect and the pandemic shortages have made used cars more acceptable to buyers who typically shun used cars. As this ramps back down BMW will have to both compete with cheaper makes offering more features and their own cars a few model years old with more features than their current offerings. All while also being pushed toward the EV future that will temporarily have some buyers looking backward to ICE cars. Not a good spot.

As I said earlier, I'm glad I didn't lease. Gives me a chance to hop back into it when the time is right. I'd have a hard time accepting a $70K car with the options cuts I've read about here on the forums. BMW and other "luxury" brands will have to fix their CS models IMHO and at least start to deliver "luxury" experience to their customers. SO far, that's the one thing the cheaper makes haven't been able to crack. They need to focus as much on customer retention as they do on customer acquisition...
Appreciate 1
claykin1579.00
      06-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
Mach550
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550i

Garage List
2019 BMW M550i  [8.00]
One thing I just wondered about, is BMW lowering either the base or package prices since there is less included?
      06-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #18
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
One thing I just wondered about, is BMW lowering either the base or package prices since there is less included?
Last I heard. Pricing is going up. We'll see once the pricing guides are posted for official confirmation though.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #19
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach550 View Post
If the screenshot above is accurate, appears the 540i will include features from the DA package as standard. First, it's about time! Second, no chance prices are going down. Raw materials, such as steel, are way up.
      06-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #20
Nicad2000
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i (G29), 540i (G30)

Quote:
Any chance you can post the entire MY22 order guide?
+1 for please post the order guide if you are able. I am hoping they've added merino back as an option for MY 2022 but am not holding my breath.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #21
ForensicBimmer
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Don't know if it'll work, but here's the guide.

I made a handshake deal yesterday for a 2021 530e. It was the only one in my entire state with everything I wanted and that's only because it literally had every single package and option on it except for the Luxury Seating Package. Which I thought was stupid. They built a car with every single option and they skimped on the seating package? Really?

So at least that has the Driver Assist Professional, the Parking Assist Plus, and all the other things I wanted. It also has a lot of stuff I didn't need, but are really cool to have like the Executive Package, the M-Sport package, 20" wheels. It even has that camera recorder in the front. Of course it costs a ton more than what I would have wanted with my own build, but when you're picky about features, I guess, I'll have to deal. The horror.

Anyway, I talked to the guy and he said the high end cars, like the 7s above are getting the PAP. But this chip shortage is a huge deal that's not just affecting cars. He said something about refrigerators not coming with ice makers too, which just seems incredible.
It's not a great time to buy anything electronic I guess.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf guide.pdf (6.16 MB, 620 views)
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #22
Nicad2000
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i (G29), 540i (G30)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForensicBimmer View Post
Don't know if it'll work, but here's the guide.

I made a handshake deal yesterday for a 2021 530e. It was the only one in my entire state with everything I wanted and that's only because it literally had every single package and option on it except for the Luxury Seating Package. Which I thought was stupid. They built a car with every single option and they skimped on the seating package? Really?

So at least that has the Driver Assist Professional, the Parking Assist Plus, and all the other things I wanted. It also has a lot of stuff I didn't need, but are really cool to have like the Executive Package, the M-Sport package, 20" wheels. It even has that camera recorder in the front. Of course it costs a ton more than what I would have wanted with my own build, but when you're picky about features, I guess, I'll have to deal. The horror.

Anyway, I talked to the guy and he said the high end cars, like the 7s above are getting the PAP. But this chip shortage is a huge deal that's not just affecting cars. He said something about refrigerators not coming with ice makers too, which just seems incredible.
It's not a great time to buy anything electronic I guess.
Thanks a lot for posting this. Looks like I am out of luck on merino seats - not surprising.
Appreciate 0