BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Touching up scratch on Mediterranean blue

05-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Touching up scratch on Mediterranean blue

I got a small scratch about 3 inches. I ordered the touch up paint from bmw (code c10) but it's a lot darker than the rest of the car.

Anyone had any experience of touching up scratches on the Mediterranean blue? If so which paint did you use and any tips on application?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 08:24 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

If no it were me, I'd simply get a professional to sort it out, might cost more but it's their day job so should in theory do a good job
Appreciate 3
540iSUP704.00
2022M550i3053.50
Warp Ten672.00
      05-08-2022, 08:32 AM   #3
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
If no it were me, I'd simply get a professional to sort it out, might cost more but it's their day job so should in theory do a good job
Thanks. For such a small scratch they would do a smart repair (at home). But I wasn't keen on them spraying the whole panel in case it didn't match and when I sell the car it'll lose more value
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Go to a pro. They are as common as PDR guys. You will get nothing but blobs with the brush kit. If you must DIY, get your paint loaded into a pen.
NGT25773.50
540iSUP704.00
      05-09-2022, 02:32 AM   #5
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Go to paintscratch.com and get a small bottle of paint and maybe primer.

If you see white or primer under the scratch, you won't need to prime. If you see metal, you definitely need to use primer.

You will need a toothpick, needle, or a small paint brush and cut the bristles so you have a very, very fine point. You will also need some 2000 grit wet-sand paper, soapy water, and a cleaner that can cut grease like Simple Green.

I also don't recommend you attempting this unless you have your own RO buffer. You will need to wet-sand the area and it will leave scratches that only a cut and buff will be able to level it out.

1) Wash the area and clean it with Simple Green.
2) Wet-sand the scratch and area around it. The idea is to knock down the ledge created by the chip/scratch. Your goal is to fill in the area with color, not the scratch and the painted areas around it.
3) Dip the tip of whatever utensil you are using into the paint or primer and touch the scratch. You should see the paint fill in the scratch slowly. Just dab and touch and keep going.
4) Build up the paint so it has a little bit of a bubble and let dry for like 3 days.
5) Wet-sand the bubbled paint so its flush with the panel.
6) Get out your buffer and cut and buff until you have a nice shine. Start with the least aggressive polish and work your way to more aggressive if you need it.

Tips:
If you need to use primer, wait a few hours to a day for the primer to dry before applying paint. You also might not get the entire scratch covered on the first application. I tend to lay the paint on and wait a day or two to let the paint settle into the chip/scratch and then apply another layer if needed. Don't worry about the paint creating a bulb or bubble over the affected area as you will be sanding it down. Make sure to use soapy water when you wet-sand and soak the sandpaper for at least 30 mins before sanding. Also, keep the area wet when you wet-sand. The color might not be 100% spot on, this is due to the paint on your car fading. This is why paint shops would rather match the paint to your car, not your color code.

It really isn't hard and the results are decent, especially if the area is small. You won't have any clear coat over the scratched or chipped areas either, but its better than bare metal. Any paint shop worth their salt would be able to do this without shooting the entire panel and they'll have it done in a day. Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 05:10 AM   #6
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post

If you see white or primer under the scratch, you won't need to prime. If you see metal, you definitely need to use primer.

You will need a toothpick, needle, or a small paint brush and cut the bristles so you have a very, very fine point. You will also need some 2000 grit wet-sand paper, soapy water, and a cleaner that can cut grease like Simple Green.

I also don't recommend you attempting this unless you have your own RO buffer. You will need to wet-sand the area and it will leave scratches that only a cut and buff will be able to level it out.

2) Wet-sand the scratch and area around it. The idea is to knock down the ledge created by the chip/scratch. Your goal is to fill in the area with color, not the scratch and the painted areas around it.
3) Dip the tip of whatever utensil you are using into the paint or primer and touch the scratch. You should see the paint fill in the scratch slowly. Just dab and touch and keep going.
4) Build up the paint so it has a little bit of a bubble and let dry for like 3 days.
6) Get out your buffer and cut and buff until you have a nice shine. Start with the least aggressive polish and work your way to more aggressive if you need it.

Tips:
If you need to use primer, wait a few hours to a day for the primer to dry before applying paint. You also might not get the entire scratch covered on the first application. I tend to lay the paint on and wait a day or two to let the paint settle into the chip/scratch and then apply another layer if needed. Don't worry about the paint creating a bulb or bubble over the affected area as you will be sanding it down. Make sure to use soapy water when you wet-sand and soak the sandpaper for at least 30 mins before sanding. Also, keep the area wet when you wet-sand. The color might not be 100% spot on, this is due to the paint on your car fading. This is why paint shops would rather match the paint to your car, not your color code.

It really isn't hard and the results are decent, especially if the area is small. You won't have any clear coat over the scratched or chipped areas either, but its better than bare metal. Any paint shop worth their salt would be able to do this without shooting the entire panel and they'll have it done in a day. Good luck with whatever direction you go.
Daunting task or let a pro do it😉
540iSUP704.00
      05-09-2022, 07:32 AM   #7
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iSUP View Post

Tips:

For stone chips, I'm with you. For a 3 inch long scratch, I'm seeing a body shop. Let them deal with it. It's not going to cost much. I had a fiberglass hood, prepped and painted for only 900 bucks. The guy incredibly matched 25-year-old paint. The match was 100% spot on in sunlight and under fluorescent light. The finish was like glass. If that's all it cost to do an entire hood, this isn't going to cost much. Make sure you go to a reputable body shop… Do some homework first. They will touch it up perfectly. Don't have them re-spray the whole door.
Appreciate 1
540iSUP704.00