BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Procedure for restoring uncared for paint

02-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #1
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Procedure for restoring uncared for paint

For the past 40 yrs I have washed with one buck, dried with some old bath towels and a coat of wax once a summer.
Now I want to evolve bit and see if I can bring the paint back to something half decent.
It's a black car so everything shows, there are scuffs, lots of swirls and minor scratches, that was before I brought it in to the garage for a full tear down and rebuild this winter so it is now also covered with a thick layer of shop dust.

So, I have assembled a water de ionizer, bought a good foam gun and some nice products I've been researching.
I need to get this muck off the car so I can start to work on the paint without making it worse.

Here's the procedure I have laid out, I'm certainly willing to change anything depending on what you detail gurus advise.

1 Roll the car out and spray foam it with Adams strip&wash, let that sit.
2 Pressure wash that off and rinse.
3 Spray with Iron buster, let sit then pressure wash the rinse.
4 Spray foam it with Adams strip&wash, hand wash with 2 bucket method.
5 Pressure wash the rinse.
6 Clay bar with fine clay.
7 Spray foam it with regular car soap.
8 Rinse with de ionized water and blow dry.
10 Now I should be down to the bare clear coat I can compound with heavy, med or fine cut depending on how bad it is using a 7" rotary or 6" DA orbital sander.
11 Final polish with a microfiber pad on the DA orbital sander.
12 Buff/clean off the polish with a microfiber towel.
13 Spray foam the car with Sonax foam & seal.
14 rinse off with de ionized water.
15 Blow dry and touch up with TW Ice seal & shine.

What do you think, did I miss anything?
      02-18-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
For the past 40 yrs I have washed with one buck, dried with some old bath towels and a coat of wax once a summer.
Now I want to evolve bit and see if I can bring the paint back to something half decent.
It's a black car so everything shows, there are scuffs, lots of swirls and minor scratches, that was before I brought it in to the garage for a full tear down and rebuild this winter so it is now also covered with a thick layer of shop dust.

So, I have assembled a water de ionizer, bought a good foam gun and some nice products I've been researching.
I need to get this muck off the car so I can start to work on the paint without making it worse.

Here's the procedure I have laid out, I'm certainly willing to change anything depending on what you detail gurus advise.

6 Clay bar with fine clay.
8 Rinse with de ionized water and blow dry.
10 Now I should be down to the bare clear coat I can compound with heavy, med or fine cut depending on how bad it is using a 7" rotary or 6" DA orbital sander.

Personally I would start with a plain water rinse to get some of the thick shop dust off. Then the strip wash might be more effective.

On the steps where you "let sit", just don't let the sprayed-on chemical dry on the surface prior to rinsing off.

I also wonder if a final polish using a microfiber pad (as opposed to fine foam) will produce the maximum potential gloss in the finish.

Finally, I think this is a lot of prep work to end up using a sealant. Did you consider ceramic or graphene coating? The Sonax product may be fine, but I just don't know much about it.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 09:12 AM   #3
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

I wash and rinse the car using 1 bucket of soap with 8 or so chenille mitts, never touching the water after initial dunk...same as Gary Dean method.
I save a chenille mitt to use as my clay lubricant and go at it with the clay. This mitt I may redunk.

I don't bother with the foam anymore because it gets in every crevice and doesn't want to leave. You will be polishing road grime and old sealant off anyway so why foam.
Clay,rinse, IronX, rinse, dry then compound/polish.
Don't forget the wheels.

What polisher will you be using?
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #4
willywilson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 Comp Xdrive (ordered)

After you compound and polish you need to use a Panel Wipe (e.g. CarPro Eraser) to remove the residue from the broken down polish.

As stated above- I'd coat with a ceramic (e.g. Quartz UK 3.0) to protect all this hard work. It's easy to apply- just watch Youtube vids. The graphene product is a newer option. Adam's gets good reviews. I'm getting ready to do a car with double coat UK 3.0.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #5
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

My order was wrong.
Wash, rinse, Iron-X, rinse then clay and rinse.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #6
grannyknot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrared93 View Post
Personally I would start with a plain water rinse to get some of the thick shop dust off. Then the strip wash might be more effective.

On the steps where you "let sit", just don't let the sprayed-on chemical dry on the surface prior to rinsing off.

I also wonder if a final polish using a microfiber pad (as opposed to fine foam) will produce the maximum potential gloss in the finish.

Finally, I think this is a lot of prep work to end up using a sealant. Did you consider ceramic or graphene coating? The Sonax product may be fine, but I just don't know much about it.
Thanks guys.
Fine foam, yes good point.
I've just started diving into the ceramic coating world and learning curve is all over the place, so many different opinions, from the best thing possible to, it's crap, don't waste your money.
I haven't sorted the facts from the BS yet but it does sounds very promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
I wash and rinse the car using 1 bucket of soap with 8 or so chenille mitts, never touching the water after initial dunk...same as Gary Dean method.
I save a chenille mitt to use as my clay lubricant and go at it with the clay. This mitt I may redunk.

I don't bother with the foam anymore because it gets in every crevice and doesn't want to leave. You will be polishing road grime and old sealant off anyway so why foam.
Clay,rinse, IronX, rinse, dry then compound/polish.
Don't forget the wheels.

What polisher will you be using?
HA, because I spent a lot of money on a foam gun and I want to see what it's like
I have a 7" rotory machine with variable speed and a 5-6" DA random orbital machine with variable speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywilson View Post
After you compound and polish you need to use a Panel Wipe (e.g. CarPro Eraser) to remove the residue from the broken down polish.

As stated above- I'd coat with a ceramic (e.g. Quartz UK 3.0) to protect all this hard work. It's easy to apply- just watch Youtube vids. The graphene product is a newer option. Adam's gets good reviews. I'm getting ready to do a car with double coat UK 3.0.
A panel wipe, I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense.
      02-19-2023, 02:39 AM   #7
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post

6 Clay bar with fine clay.since you have damaged paint (swirls etc) a medium clay would work more quickly with no downside
8 Rinse with de ionized water and blow dry. again the paint has damage and you're intent on correcting it, so contact dry for speed
12a the panel wipe mentioned by a contributor above would be a good idea

I think you're pretty much on the money, but suggest the above in blue italics.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #8
grannyknot
Captain
Rep

Just to finish up this thread, this is 8 months of shop dust.
Pressure washed the worst of it off then let it soak in the foam.
Name:  april12.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  222.5 KB Name:  april13.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  130.5 KB

Pressure washed the foam off and sprayed the car down with rust buster, let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed off and foamed it up again and did the first hand wash. After rinsing I brought it into the shop and clay bared the entire car.
Back outside for one more foam hand wash using a strip wash and a final rinse with deionized water, back into the shop for drying.
Here it is in just the bare clear coat ready for paint/clear coat touch ups, a few chips on the edge of the wheel well.
Tomorrow I'll decide if I'll start with compounding or go straight to polishing.
Name:  april14.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  128.6 KB

The next day I got the whole car compounded with Meguiar's Pro Speed compound, wiped down with 50/50 ISO/water then polished with The Final Polish and a DA orbital, then coated it with SONAX foam&seal.
Final rinse with deionized water, blew it off and let dry in the shade of the garage.
Name:  april23.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  192.9 KBName:  april21.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  171.3 KB
wb8164128.50
spazzz129.50
      04-23-2023, 08:46 AM   #9
diirk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3MC BGM

Garage List
Looks great. It's especially satisfying on a dark car.
I did something similar with a 15yo Mini I picked up that had been neglected.
I had very good luck using the Boss system that matches pass to polishes for great results.
Super easy for a novice like me and the results were amazing.
15 Beetle Vert
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 02:47 PM   #10
LivingInSalt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M240i

I thought this was a really good video that explains each step of the paint correction process and how to do each

Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 03:25 PM   #11
grannyknot
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingInSalt View Post
I thought this was a really good video that explains each step of the paint correction process and how to do each
Looks like I did it in the right order, although after watching that I might go back and do a little more of the polishing stage.
Thanks
      05-01-2023, 08:16 PM   #12
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Pressure wash first. Then foam cannon. An air dryer is handy to have- less touching of paint.

As for heavy decon and claying… Finish Kare and ValuGard both have a 3 step decon system that’s better than clayin most cases. Needs good drainage as it’s pretty harsh stuff but it saves some work.

A simple all around Polish with Rupes uno or wolfgang total swirl remover should clear the paint enough with the right pad combo unless you’re dealing with a lot of defects.
Appreciate 0