E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > hurricane and k&n e90 air filters

06-12-2006, 03:50 AM   #1
climkt
Bimmer Manual all the way
Singapore
Rep
Drives: e90 320i manual

hurricane and k&n e90 air filters

anyone tried aftermarket air filters? the 2 commercially available ones are the hurricane (japan, steel air filter)and the k&N air filters (USA). wonder whether there is significant improvement in throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #2
climkt
Singapore
Rep

since there is zero replies from the audience, i thought i will post some more info about the hurricane air filter-e90

TECHNICAL INFO
Hurricane believes in quality and performance. Hurricane Air Filter Element uses Japan's highest rust proof Stainless Steel for our filter element.

The uniform microscopic holes on Hurricane wire mesh ensures very consistent filtration and airflow. Thus allowing engines to breathe better as compared to the inconsistency airflow of cotton/foam filter.

With a simple Hurricane panel filter, you can expect a decent horse power gain from mid to high RPM. Acceleration is smoother and faster. The feeling is like changing to an open pod air filter.

Hurricane filter will still deliver its promised filtration without compromise under extreme temperature. The filter element is strong and will not be easily shifted even under
extreme pressure.
Unlike oil-based filters, Hurricane filter causes lesser contamination to the MAF Sensor due to the absence of oil. (Note: Oil + Dust = Sticky Dirt)

Hurricane filter frames are made from specially treated rubber instead of injection molding, thus ensuring a stronger structure and longer lifespan.

FUEL SAVER
With a noticeable increase in torque and power due to an easier breathing engine, one may gain extra mileage of up to 10% just by changing to Hurricane Stainless Steel Air Filter with the same driving style

SIMPLEST IN MAINTENANCE
Hurricane Filters are the easiest to maintain. Just use water and light soap. Blow dry and its ready to use ! Cleaning is recommended during every oil change of 5,000km
or 10,000km.

Benefits
More Power, Smoother Acceleration Increase in Power due to higher air flow. Significant Mid to high end torque gain
Prolong lifespan of MAF sensor No more contamination of
MAF sensor
Easiest to Maintain No Oiling needed, Wash and blow dry.
Longer lasting, more durable than other leading brands Element made from Stainless Steel, frame made from high quality treated rubber. Will not melt or warp melt under
extreme heat.
Fully LTA Compliant Fitting Hurricane air filter will not affect the structural integrity of the vehicle.

H U R R I C A N E A I R F I L T E R : F i n d o u t m o r e ! -http://www.hurricane-racing.com/filter-a.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
6SpeedMan
Poor rich kid working
Rep
Drives: 335i soon to be M3

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
How restcritive is the stock air filter, I'm sure that BMW would put a POS in a $30,000 car?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 03:39 AM   #4
climkt
Singapore
Rep

BMW stock air filters are cheap in quality (not cheap in price) and definitely more restrictive than aftermarket ones. i hope to get one soon and see for myself the improvement in responsiveness.

Last edited by climkt; 06-15-2006 at 03:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
i did hear about a racedriver that he only uses K&N filters there not dear and all you have to do is just clean them out once a year and there made for life, he said it makes a lot of difference when you upgrade your power, eg engine upgrade then put on the filter for better throttle response, you dont get more hp only a few
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
6SpeedMan
Poor rich kid working
Rep
Drives: 335i soon to be M3

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
If your going for more power just get a full arm.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by climkt
anyone tried aftermarket air filters? the 2 commercially available ones are the hurricane (japan, steel air filter)and the k&N air filters (USA). wonder whether there is significant improvement in throttle response?
I am interested in the Hurricane filter. I went on their website but they dont seem to show a dealer in the USA. Do you know how to get pricing and ordering information? I see that they make one for a 01-06 330i.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
jojogargoles
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
i tried in my other car to change the whole filter system i hae the cold air system and you can feel the throttle....(physics) cold air is easier to burn than hot air explanation..... . if it is cold air you burn gas faster then you have more throttle, retain the same housing and change to aftermarket filter is useless. if you will only change the filter of your car and still maintain your housing its much better to keep it stock there's not alot difference plus youre still under warranty why do you want to change your filter it will revoke your warranty.... second why buy now while the dealer can change it for FREE. are you planning to race your car??? if not there's no point of changing it nobody know that you change it unless you announce to the whole world that you change it (something to think about). i say keep it stock save you warranty! if you want good throttle add a racing chip and dont tell your dealer so they will not revoke your warranty.
      06-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
climkt
Singapore
Rep

hi guys. i have not seen the hurricane product yet. surprised that they do not have a dealer in the USA. will update u guys when is the product arrives in singapore.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
climkt
Singapore
Rep

hi jojogargoles, i am not planning to race my car. but 150 horses on a 320i is quite lacking and i did not see the point in splashing another 15kUS on a 325i and 25k US on a 330i after spending 65k us on a basic 320i. speed limit in singapore is 90kmph so 320i is okay but could do with a bit more juice with a cheap mod like a aftermarket air filter. will consider chips and superchargers (100 horses)after warranty expires-still cheaper than 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2006, 10:18 PM   #11
climkt
Singapore
Rep

The k &N air filter is an american product. are they popular in the USA? do people vouch for its effectiveness?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:16 AM   #12
Dankim10
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Well, I was in Chicago, I loved to use K&N filter for my civic si. It is very famous in America. Most people satisty with it. Go for it!

Currently, I'm waiting K&N intake for e90. It should release soon.
Blackline | Euro Xenon Headlight | Brex white ring | Breyton spoiler | ACS roof spoiler | 19" HRE C20 19x8.5, 19x9.5, with Michellin PS2 tires | Authentic GruppeM intake | Authentic M-technik full kits | 3D Studie front Lip | Hamann Quad Exhaust | Hamann Mtech rear Diffuser | Piaa HID kit for foglight | KW Street comfort suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The k &N air filter is an american product. are they popular in the USA? do people vouch for its effectiveness?
Climkt, I went to the Hurricane website and it looks like a really cool filter. I just got an email back from them, see below:

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your interest in Hurricane Filters.

Currently I do not have any dealers in the USA yet, but am looking to find someone to promote our filters there.
I have put up schedule to manufacture the new 3 series in the next 1-2 months. May I ask if your filter is the round shaped or odd shaped type?

As for payment wise, you can do a T/T to me but due to the high bank transaction fee, I think you can consolidate more filters for the same payment.
Let me know what other cars are keen to put up with Hurricane filters, and I will see if my list includes those.

By the way, may I ask where did you read about my filters?

Rgds
Lai Kum Loon
65-93820113
www.Hurricane-Racing.com

I wrote back and gave you credit from info and told him that you are from Singapore and where to find you on EPOST.COM. I hope they are successful in marketing their product in the USA. I think they might just give K&N a run for their money.
I believe they currently just make OEM replacement filter eliments to fit in the OEM housing so jojogargoles concerns with a loss of volumetric efficiency wouldn't be an issue and if filter media meets BMWs micron rating there shouldn't be a warrenty issue. It will be fun to see this product come to market here in the US.
K&N does sell a very good product and is very popular here in the states. The K&N system is an oil gaus type that takes some work when it is time to service it. I have an OEM replacement type on my 1998 BMW Z3 and a Full air intake system on my 2000 Toyota Tundra that has the 4.6L V8 engine. K&N is right here in Riverside California and did the install an dyno test as a proto type in 2000 before they started production. The dyno tested before and after and got 14.7 horse power increase! Not to shabby for a inexspensive bolt on. Mater of fact it was free for me becuse I let them use my new truck for testing.

Last edited by Silver bullet; 06-16-2006 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2006, 01:46 AM   #14
bwdearman
Brett Dearman - Retired Über-geek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 - White 330i

I just installed a K&N in my 330i this afternoon. The throttle response is definitely better, but I haven't driven it enough to tell much of a difference in anything else. I'll post again when I know more. What I can tell you for sure is that I put a K&N in my '97 Pontiac Trans Am and it made a significant difference ... a small horsepower gain and a couple of miles per gallon.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
Silver bullet
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdearman
I just installed a K&N in my 330i this afternoon. The throttle response is definitely better, but I haven't driven it enough to tell much of a difference in anything else. I'll post again when I know more. What I can tell you for sure is that I put a K&N in my '97 Pontiac Trans Am and it made a significant difference ... a small horsepower gain and a couple of miles per gallon.
bwdearman, Did you install an OEM repalcement or a compleate intake system?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2006, 07:33 AM   #16
Dankim10
Major
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E90 325i AW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
was it complete intake system or just filter? Very curious!
Blackline | Euro Xenon Headlight | Brex white ring | Breyton spoiler | ACS roof spoiler | 19" HRE C20 19x8.5, 19x9.5, with Michellin PS2 tires | Authentic GruppeM intake | Authentic M-technik full kits | 3D Studie front Lip | Hamann Quad Exhaust | Hamann Mtech rear Diffuser | Piaa HID kit for foglight | KW Street comfort suspension
Appreciate 0