BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos driving to the dealer...my 1st race

01-18-2007, 07:31 PM   #23
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP
There was a guy who lost his wife and kids in Tampa a couple of years back when two cars were racing from light to light. One of the cars T-boned his wife, who was pulling out onto the street and didn't realize it was a racing zone (but what's the harm -- been done for years, right?).

Other than the fact that his two kids burned to death in the ensuing fire I guess it was no big deal, though.
And millions die daily in crashes that have nothing to do with spirited light to light driving...so everyone should stay at home?

I can guarantee that there is no one....no one... on this forum who has not floored their car at a red light...or exceeded the speed limit at some point..if you say that you have not you are lying.....it doesn't matter if someone was beside you or not...so quit whining
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 10:49 PM   #24
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

"Racing" as described in this thread isn't dangerous. OMG we accelerated quickly from a red light to a speed we probably would end up going anyway even if we accelerated slowly. 90% of people who say racing is stupid and dangerous are probably people who have no problem with going for a "spirited drive". Guess what? They're the same thing, one is alone and one is with someone else. They're both stupid. Thats called hypocrisy btw.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #25
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
he wanted one before the car needed one. The car will tell you when it needs to be changed and if you decide to do this before then its an out of pocket expense to you.
take a chill pill - it isn't that bad.
      01-18-2007, 11:20 PM   #26
Barry626
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VapoR View Post
then i goto the dealer, get some papers signed. btw the oil change is costing me $167 in labor plus the actual cost of oil and filter. wtf? anyone else getting robbed?

You need a new dealer?
Oil change + filter + labor should be under $100.00.
I just had mine done @ one in the biggest dealers in the country.
$77.00 tax included.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 01:14 AM   #27
yahookendogg
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

how is it a race when u already know ur gona smoke him? lol... please don't race SUV's unless it's a cayenne turbo or a 4.8is...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 01:22 AM   #28
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahookendogg View Post
how is it a race when u already know ur gona smoke him? lol... please don't race SUV's unless it's a cayenne turbo or a 4.8is...
Hahaha are you serious?

The mercedes ML63 amg does 1/4 Mile: 13.6 seconds @ 108 mph, 5.3 sec 0-60.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo does 0-60 mph. 5.4. 1/4 mile. 13.8 @ 102.4.

Heres a video of the ML63 vs a jeep srt8, Oh ya and a jeep srt8 are capable of doing the 1/4 in 13 flat.

Just because they are SUV's doesnt mean they are slow...

Next time you post please do some research.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia

Last edited by Walked U; 01-19-2007 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 01:28 AM   #29
DLSJ5
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
I hope you get pulled over next time you race and lose your license. Imagine if someone was racing and killed you Mom or sister or another family member. How would you feel? Street racing is for immature people who are very selfish. I hate stories like this.
I think everyone here would agree that street racing is dangerous, but I'm def guilty of getting on the throttle now and then as well as doing a few runs with another quick car who wants to play. Everyone who buys a fast car or mods their car in an attempt to go faster does it, lol. They are lying if they claim otherwise.

I hate it when people who mod their daily driver to go faster, claim to be holier than thou, and that they are angels behind the wheel and would never do such an awful thing. If you didn't mod your car I'd have more respect for your OP. Or if you were more consistant with your hatred of street racing. It seems that when Art in his Z4M raced a 335I at 100+ speeds you had no problems with it, no?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=41722&page=2

Quote:
great run art. I hope all is well with you and Tiff. Do you have a timeslip of your 12.9 or a video as I would luv to see this.

You did engine mods on your car, is this to go faster on the street? If not then why did you mod your car to go faster? I'm pretty sure that you'd do the same thing if a lexus IS250 pulled up and wanted to run your 330. Or do you just like doing performance mods for for the heck of it?
ESS VT3-750 - 60-130MPH 6.14s - 10.81 @ 135.13 MPH 690WHP/463WTQ
Shift-S3ctor E92 M3 - 1/2 Mile Trap Speed WR - 174.13 MPH

Last edited by DLSJ5; 01-19-2007 at 01:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 07:29 AM   #30
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
so im going to the dealership this morning to get an audio part fix and an oil change. on my way i come up to this red light and i end up in a right turn only lane b/c i trying to go around these slow pokes and i didn't feel like cutting someone off by quickly squeezing in. i don't want to turn right so once it hits green i accelerate to get ahead of the car to my left and cut in. apparently the car to my left saw this coming but couldn't really stop me from doing these. he kinda gets pissed and changes lanes to mad dog me a bit. as he comes up i give him the goofiest smile i can make. then we both come up to a red light again and he rolls down his window and so do i. "thats a V-6 right?" the guy in his 30s says. "uhh yea" (i didn't want to confuse/embarrass him with saying I-6 twin turbo 300+ ponies buddy). "thats a stick shift?" "yea." then he says "let's go". hes driving an 06 benz m-class. i laugh to myself and say ok. i roll up my window and the light hits green about 5 seconds later. in about .5 seconds i can see his car in my rear view mirror. i punch it til about 65 mph. he got beat so bad it was ridicules. i wasn't really surprised cuz it was a big suv but it didnt stop me from laughing. he didnt want to talk after that and quickly got off the road. it was my 1st race in my 335i. ill try to find a more worthy opponent next time.
then i goto the dealer, get some papers signed. btw the oil change is costing me $167 in labor plus the actual cost of oil and filter. wtf? anyone else getting robbed?

I don't get it...why it it a big deal to beat an SUV...especially in the 335????
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:04 AM   #31
PMP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
And millions die daily in crashes that have nothing to do with spirited light to light driving...so everyone should stay at home?

I can guarantee that there is no one....no one... on this forum who has not floored their car at a red light...or exceeded the speed limit at some point..if you say that you have not you are lying.....it doesn't matter if someone was beside you or not...so quit whining
I disagree wholeheartedly. There is a big difference between drag racing from light to light and spirited driving and we all here know it. When you are flooring your car with every intentiontion of beating another car in a race you are not going to be paying attention to cars that might pull out in front of you. Further, said cars are not expecting two cars to come screaming at them on a busy (as indicated by the fact that there are a series of lights) city streets.

As someone who's wife was T-boned by a truck ("Maam, it's really hard to stop one of these trucks when you're going that fast.") and as someone who has been rear-ended by idiots five times I'm a bit sensitive to bad and overly aggresive and distracted driving on city streets. If you really like to drive fast (and driving a 300+ hp coupe makes you someone who likes to drive fast) why not try out autocross? It is legal, fun, and it involves more skill than pressing a butting on the floor of your car. Plus, you get to compete with drivers who have possibly equal or better skill than you and you can learn stuff. Added benefit is that you don't T-bone some unlucky driver who wasn't expecting you to be flying at them 65 mhp in a 35 mhp zone! It's all good, see?

There is a difference between goosing your car after a red light and racing. The OP was describing a race. No question about it. "Let's go." Nobody's fooling anyone here.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #32
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Maybe i was a little too harsh but its not the 65 part its the acceleration thats is dangerous. Also a 45 mph zone usuallyis in a high traffic area with people or many cars. If I am, in a 35mph I dont accelerate at full throttle for fear that some old person or child may run into the road without looking. I am just saying that people should be more carefull with what they do because the consiquences could be very bad thats all.
Also about not reading the post if I dont like racing stories I never said I did not like the stories I dont like the idea of doing it thats all. And the other poster was right this is not as bad as weaving in and out of traffic.
I could have said it in a better way but I just hate thinking about what could have happened and my emotions got the better of me.
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #33
DocRoss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Group Hug?

Quote:
Maybe i was a little too harsh but its not the 65 part its the acceleration thats is dangerous. Also a 45 mph zone usuallyis in a high traffic area with people or many cars. If I am, in a 35mph I dont accelerate at full throttle for fear that some old person or child may run into the road without looking. I am just saying that people should be more carefull with what they do because the consiquences could be very bad thats all.
Also about not reading the post if I dont like racing stories I never said I did not like the stories I dont like the idea of doing it thats all. And the other poster was right this is not as bad as weaving in and out of traffic.
I could have said it in a better way but I just hate thinking about what could have happened and my emotions got the better of me.
      01-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #34
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Dunno about you guys, but theres highway around with red lights and a 45mph limit where everyone goes 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #35
GregL
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 CLA45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Hahaha are you serious?

The mercedes ML63 amg does 1/4 Mile: 13.6 seconds @ 108 mph, 5.3 sec 0-60.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo does 0-60 mph. 5.4. 1/4 mile. 13.8 @ 102.4.

Heres a video of the ML63 vs a jeep srt8, Oh ya and a jeep srt8 are capable of doing the 1/4 in 13 flat.

Just because they are SUV's doesnt mean they are slow...

Next time you post please do some research.
Actually the ML63 does 4.7 seconds 0-60, like I said in an earlier post in this thread.
2006 BMW 330xi - Gone
2001 Infiniti QX4 - Gone
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 02:26 PM   #36
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Actually the ML63 does 4.7 seconds 0-60, like I said in an earlier post in this thread.
Ya but I was quoting straight from the factory numbers. But non the less everyone talking about how slow suv's are, hasnt seen the light of day.

Thats like saying all mid to low 13 sec cars are slow.

Remember the 335i is a mid to low 13 sec car also. Stock for stock any of those cars will give you a run for your money.

Theres plenty of fast suv's. Range rover sport. ML63. Cayenne Turbo. SRT8 jeep. gmc typhoon. List goes on and on.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #37
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMP View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. There is a big difference between drag racing from light to light and spirited driving and we all here know it. When you are flooring your car with every intentiontion of beating another car in a race you are not going to be paying attention to cars that might pull out in front of you. Further, said cars are not expecting two cars to come screaming at them on a busy (as indicated by the fact that there are a series of lights) city streets.

As someone who's wife was T-boned by a truck ("Maam, it's really hard to stop one of these trucks when you're going that fast.") and as someone who has been rear-ended by idiots five times I'm a bit sensitive to bad and overly aggresive and distracted driving on city streets. If you really like to drive fast (and driving a 300+ hp coupe makes you someone who likes to drive fast) why not try out autocross? It is legal, fun, and it involves more skill than pressing a butting on the floor of your car. Plus, you get to compete with drivers who have possibly equal or better skill than you and you can learn stuff. Added benefit is that you don't T-bone some unlucky driver who wasn't expecting you to be flying at them 65 mhp in a 35 mhp zone! It's all good, see?

There is a difference between goosing your car after a red light and racing. The OP was describing a race. No question about it. "Let's go." Nobody's fooling anyone here.
So you are saying you also adhere exactly to the posted speed limit and never reach more than 3500rpm when accelerating on the street?
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #38
seph
TIME's person of the year
Rep
Drives: 06 ML500; 07 CLK550

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdurham View Post
So you are saying you also adhere exactly to the posted speed limit and never reach more than 3500rpm when accelerating on the street?
Oh come on, stop with your lame, idiotic technicality. Everybody obviously speeds, but theres a significant difference between speeding 5-10 miles above the speed limit to match the speed of traffic and gunning your car to excessive speeds in a street just because you want to beat another car. Stop trying to justify your irrational, pathetically sad hobby.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #39
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph View Post
Just curious, how old are you?

And LOL @ you feeling all proud of your self for beating a ML. Man, 3-Series owners.. so arrogant Even though his ride probably costs more than your car, you feel the need to flaunt. Stuff like this makes me not want to purchase a 335i because I'd hate to be associated with the likes of greasy punks who think they are on top of the world now that they own an entry-level BMW Get a grip, kid.
Please by all means I don't want you associated with me either please stick with your mid-level 5 series and browse the ML forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by seph View Post
Oh come on, stop with your lame, idiotic technicality. Everybody obviously speeds, but theres a significant difference between speeding 5-10 miles above the speed limit to match the speed of traffic and gunning your car to excessive speeds in a street just because you want to beat another car. Stop trying to justify your irrational, pathetically sad hobby.
First off this was not my story and is not my hobby.....all I am trying to justify is that the original poster of this story was only doing something that I am sure almost everyone and even YOU have also done on more than one occasion...and no there is no difference how you reach the 5-10 mph over the speed limit simply that you are there.....whether or not someone else is beside you..if you are racing or simply accelerating briskly to get in the lane you need to be in because your idiotic lame ass didn't think ahead....speed kills...end of story...I would not be defending him if the altercation had taken him to 100+ on a busy city street.... but on the other hand if he was "drag racing" to 45 mph in a 45mph zone then shutting down would there be a problem? I doesn't matter why you are going 55 in a 45 if you t-bone someone who should have been paying attention instead of pulling out in front of you will their injuries be less severe because you were simply speeding and not racing?

Last edited by mbdurham; 01-21-2007 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #40
6SpeedMan
Poor rich kid working
Rep
Drives: 335i soon to be M3

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
Wow, this is a tense group of people. I will agree that speeding causes accidents but I wouldn't condemn him for it. I'm pretty sure you guys don't always keep those high performance BMW engines at or below the speed limit at all times. Give the guy a break, everyones got an ego here. Otherwise you wouldn't have spent a ton of money on a nice car and you would have invested in real estate.
      01-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #41
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

OP: this was the worst "kill" or "race" story ever.........did you honestly think it was a race? Lemme guess......the adrenaline rush was amazing? Was it so amazing that you forgot how to use the "enter" key and use proper grammar and punctuation??

On top of that, you got ASS-RAPED by the dealer on an oil change......I feel like laughing but that would be cruel :-)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 06:00 AM   #42
VapoR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupé

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
OP: this was the worst "kill" or "race" story ever.........did you honestly think it was a race? Lemme guess......the adrenaline rush was amazing? Was it so amazing that you forgot how to use the "enter" key and use proper grammar and punctuation??

On top of that, you got ASS-RAPED by the dealer on an oil change......I feel like laughing but that would be cruel :-)
hey now dont be a dick. it wasn't a real race. it was me driving and some benz following. i wasnt fucking proud of myself for beating an suv. plz dont think im retarded. i was only remarking on the comedic side of my morning cuz a suv wanted to race me. get off my fucking back.

*pressed enter happy?* btw the my SA told me $167 or said 67 quickly but the labor was only $67(still kinda much). the total came to $130.

enter*

"forgot how to use the "enter" key and use proper grammar and punctuation??" wtf are u kidding me? i thought writing 140 was last semester. and no, i didn't get a surge of adrenaline. i thought i would share a quick moment from my morning. don't be so condescending with your arrogance.

so quick to judge. not helping that NY sterotype...

Last edited by VapoR; 01-25-2007 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 07:04 AM   #43
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Vapor nice story. Welcome here. To people who think accelleration from 0-65mph is dangerous: Buy a schoolbus. LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #44
Viral
Major
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Quote:
hey now dont be a dick. it wasn't a real race. it was me driving and some benz following. i wasnt fucking proud of myself for beating an suv. plz dont think im retarded. i was only remarking on the comedic side of my morning cuz a suv wanted to race me. get off my fucking back.

*pressed enter happy?* btw the my SA told me $167 or said 67 quickly but the labor was only $67(still kinda much). the total came to $130.

enter*

"forgot how to use the "enter" key and use proper grammar and punctuation??" wtf are u kidding me? i thought writing 140 was last semester. and no, i didn't get a surge of adrenaline. i thought i would share a quick moment from my morning. don't be so condescending with your arrogance.

so quick to judge. not helping that NY sterotype...

relax chief.........don't EVER send me PM's about how I'm a dick. BTW, writing isn't one of your strong points, so take that for what it is.
Appreciate 0