BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Live Pics of the 530e i Performance plug-in hybrid.

12-08-2016, 05:08 AM   #23
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
No of cylinders isn't the case, it's more having a more powerful petrol engine with added boost from a motor.
In that case you should wish for a more powerful electric motor.
After driving a Tesla for 2+ years it is very clear that if done right, an electric motor is superior to a combustion engine of any size and power. Instant power...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:00 AM   #24
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
No of cylinders isn't the case, it's more having a more powerful petrol engine with added boost from a motor.
In that case you should wish for a more powerful electric motor.
After driving a Tesla for 2+ years it is very clear that if done right, an electric motor is superior to a combustion engine of any size and power. Instant power...
Valid point!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:34 AM   #25
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

If done right, I think hybrid electric is the future of the automobile. However these current hybrid plug-ins are crap, this BMW or the new Porsche Pan. They invariably cost more than their gas version, weight more and are slower. They also generally depreciate faster. Why the fuck would I pay the same or more money to buy a sports sedan that wouldn't drive as well (heavier and slower).

E.g., the new Pan 4S and Pan E-hyb cost the same but the E-hyb is both heavier and slower. Why the hell then would I buy the E-hyb? The E-hyb needs to be cheaper to be attractive.

More likely than not, this 530e will cost more than 530i and will be heavier and slower; makes even less sense.

I mean obviously that's why these cars don't sell and if they do, depreciate much faster than their pure gas (car of the same brand/model) or pure electric (Tesla) comparatives.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #26
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
do we know when this e version is available for sale in north America?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 12:48 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
do we know when this e version is available for sale in north America?
I'm not sure if that has been formally announced by BMW, but the expectation is March 2017 along with the M550i.
Appreciate 1
Shaw311.50
      12-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #28
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post
If done right, I think hybrid electric is the future of the automobile. However these current hybrid plug-ins are crap, this BMW or the new Porsche Pan. They invariably cost more than their gas version, weight more and are slower. They also generally depreciate faster. Why the fuck would I pay the same or more money to buy a sports sedan that wouldn't drive as well (heavier and slower).

E.g., the new Pan 4S and Pan E-hyb cost the same but the E-hyb is both heavier and slower. Why the hell then would I buy the E-hyb? The E-hyb needs to be cheaper to be attractive.

More likely than not, this 530e will cost more than 530i and will be heavier and slower; makes even less sense.

I mean obviously that's why these cars don't sell and if they do, depreciate much faster than their pure gas (car of the same brand/model) or pure electric (Tesla) comparatives.
I have to agree. Make the e version superior to the petrol and diesel version and maybe you're talking. They had the right idea with the Active Hybrid 3 a few years back
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #29
Murph335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 N54 e90, '10 N54 e93, TBSS

Garage List
2015 Tesla P85D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0cool View Post

I have to agree. Make the e version superior to the petrol and diesel version and maybe you're talking. They had the right idea with the Active Hybrid 3 a few years back
Another "me too" pointless hybrid!!!!
BMW,
Start bringing innovation to the market place. Stop following.

Premium brands are supposed to be leading in innovative technology.

Every release of a hybrid puts Tesla further ahead of bmw, audi, porsche, etc. skip the hybrid phase and go straight to 100% electric 200mi range and higher.

Adding all these i series are automatically DQ'd from all the perks like carpool lane. Pointless!

For me its not about the $150/mo in gas that is the killer (i actually tracked it the trend for 4mo this yr) its the MAINTENENCE,
time for appts,
Pick ups drop offs
Dealing with bs fees
$150/hr then an extra hour to check tire psi
az lic plate sticker,
Rush hour traffic.

Example, In phx with an alternate fuel car the HOV lane cuts commute in half.
Get to meetings faster, cover more in a day, increase overall daily efficiencies = make more money and spend more time with family.

So why drive an ugly hybrid (i3) and be stuck in traffic like every other gas car. If your going gas go all out and drive something enjoyable, fast, and sexy (m3, amg, etc etc)
Hybrids are like the all season tire not great at anything! Make a choice one way or the other!

I kept my topless twin turbo, but realizing i just dont drive it as much anymore. What a coincidence it needs an oil change, brake service, new track tires, and new rear street tires LOL!

These hybrids are just not headline news....snooze till innovation happens.
Btw when the 200mi range batt cars do hit the bmw line i predict the hybrid becomes obsolete and values plummet.

Cheers