E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Are my discs warped???

02-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #23
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i N54 jb4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat
I believe, but may be wrong, that if you had/have a warped disc, you would feel a pulsing through the brake pedal when applying the brakes.

Do you get this?

Have you checked the rims and tyres for damage, cuts, bulges from the sidewall etc?
This is exactly it the judder only when breaking.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #24
Mikey B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325 Coupe

The brakes can quite wasily warp when water drenches them, so i agree with those who've said it, if smoke was coming off and it judders when braking it seems so, if only minor, you can have them lazer straightened if they aren't too worn.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #25
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw
The OP needs to elaborate on the incident, and also on what happens now and under what conditions IMO.

It's easy to damage bushes and suspension components on potholes for starters.

It might be the vibration only occurs when braking from 70 down to 40 and then stops - which is more likely to indicate a balancing issue - but without more info, it's kind of guesswork.

From experience, a buckled wheel - particularly if it's only on say the inside edge, can give the same effect as an out of balance wheel in as much as it will only cause vibrations at certain speeds, although that doesnt' explain why it apparently only happens when braking, I admit.

FWIW, I'm not far from Epsom and if you need someone to have a look, let me know. I can change discs/pads cheaper than a garage if you need it!
Right, basically I always drive quit hard so my brakes would have been hot! When I reached my destination there was a very big puddle where my wheel actually was half covered therefore brake disc emerged in water. As this happen lots of smoke was coming out, so much so I thought it was from the bonnet not the wheels. On closer inspection noticed the smoke gushing from the wheel center brake disc! Ever since only on braking at any speed hi or low I get a judder!
Thanks for offer I might have to take u up on that one
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #26
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B
The brakes can quite wasily warp when water drenches them, so i agree with those who've said it, if smoke was coming off and it judders when braking it seems so, if only minor, you can have them lazer straightened if they aren't too worn.
Thanks confirms what I thought. There pretty low so could do with a change
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #27
Mikey B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 325 Coupe

Not too much of a problem then if you need new ones anyway if it doesn't solve it then you can explore more options but in my opinion that's it
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:46 PM   #28
Alex.J
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
No a casting won't warp.

Quenching from different temperatures will change the metal crystal structure and phases, etc. Which will affect the physical properties (toughness, hardness, etc), not warp it. (yes, metallurgy was one of my modules at Uni 20 years ago...yawn).
Man speaks truth! Metallurgy! I'm a materials engineer!

It won't be warped fact! But I'm not getting into this argument again, had it 1000 times, but as forum members know everything about everything, the opinion of a metallurgist means nothing!
      02-05-2014, 02:39 PM   #29
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbmw View Post
No a casting won't warp.

Quenching from different temperatures will change the metal crystal structure and phases, etc. Which will affect the physical properties (toughness, hardness, etc), not warp it. (yes, metallurgy was one of my modules at Uni 20 years ago...yawn).
Man speaks truth! Metallurgy! I'm a materials engineer!

It won't be warped fact! But I'm not getting into this argument again, had it 1000 times, but as forum members know everything about everything, the opinion of a metallurgist means nothing!
Warp may be the wrong term! Deform possibly? Or cause the metal to wear uneven? I appriciate science. Warp seems to bee the term commonly used, but these are the type of symptoms giving off!!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #30
smithy79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 325d M Sport Coupe

Did you have an outcome to what the problem was?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2014, 07:15 AM   #31
Ibz82
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy79
Did you have an outcome to what the problem was?
Got the mechanic coming round nxt Friday to do a few bits on the car. Hopefully will have a conclusion nxt Friday. Will keep posted
Appreciate 0