BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Whats cause more accidents...

07-30-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
cloakster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 VW GLI

imo, its the fact that the penalties for everything is just a ticket that makes everyone not care when driving on the road. Most people will think that if they get a ticket, its no big deal since its just money (and maybe demerit points). Since they are still allowed to drive after, they will continue to do what they were doing.

I agree with everyone else that the difference in speed is where the problem is. If your on the on-ramp, you should not be going 40kph below the speed limit. So many people have done this to me and one time someone was merging from the shoulder at 50kph and i was going 120kph and i had to swerve around her to not hit.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Definitely shitty driver training. EVERY time it rains here, the highway gets shut down because of rear-end accidents. People in Raleigh drive like 5 feet away from everyone else's bumper. When someone stops, the person behind them always freaking hits them. Honestly, it never ceases to fail; it's like I expect the highway to be closed when it rains. I always follow the 2-second rule I learned in driver's ed. I've seen less brake pad wear and a less stressful ride as a result
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

The other day some bitch on a cell phone (with kids in the back) blew clean through a stop sign at 30mph, and I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting her, and honked. She came to a dead fucking stop blocking two lanes of traffic (panic brake), and then pulled up next to me and chewed ME out! "You think because you drive an expensive car you can drive like a maniac and nearly kill my children!? God help you if you had hurt them driving like that."

My response! "You blew a stop sign you stupid bitch, and luckily for you I was driving an expensive car, or I might not have been able to stop in time. If I were you, I'd put down the phone and go back to driving school. I fear for the lives of your children with you behind the wheel."

A steam of curses followed, and I face-palmed and drove away.

Once we fix that problem (people who shouldn't be behind the wheel driving on the roads with us), I'd be all for adjusting the speed limits. I do think they're set low as it is, but an 85mph limit like most German highways would be a recipe for disaster.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #26
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
The other day some bitch on a cell phone (with kids in the back) blew clean through a stop sign at 30mph, and I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting her, and honked. She came to a dead fucking stop blocking two lanes of traffic (panic brake), and then pulled up next to me and chewed ME out! "You think because you drive an expensive car you can drive like a maniac and nearly kill my children!? God help you if you had hurt them driving like that."

My response! "You blew a stop sign you stupid bitch, and luckily for you I was driving an expensive car, or I might not have been able to stop in time. If I were you, I'd put down the phone and go back to driving school. I fear for the lives of your children with you behind the wheel."

Once we fix that problem (people who shouldn't be behind the wheel driving on the roads with us), I'd be all for adjusting the speed limits. I do think they're set low as it is, but an 85mph limit like most German highways would be a recipe for disaster.
Sounds like you needed to slap a bitch. Dumbass people. I can't drive 1 mile without getting very annoyed.

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #27
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

no offense but its mainly the women.. they are the overly aggressive one who like to tail gate me/ cut me off.. and women who are unaware that I am right next to them and they don't see me..I'm not against women but some women need to learn how the fucking drive..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:15 AM   #28
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
It's almost ironic I read this thread yesterday. On my way home I see some lady start changing lanes (in traffic) when theres a car directly next to her.

Thank God she noticed and the other lady swerved out the way. Drove pass the lady....yapping on her G.D. fucking cell phone.

This morning this guy is in front of me. He only goes about 55 or so while entering the freeway. Everyone on the freeway is doing 65+. Instead of accelerating while trying to merge he keeps is same speed. I finally blow past him because I'm fed up with trying to allow him to merge in in front of me.

ACCELERATE TO AVERAGE SPEED UPON ENTERING THE FREEWAY AND MERGING!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #29
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Completely agree.
60 is too early... I have an uncle pushing 70 and I have seen him drive like a bat out of hell. He is careful, but can be pretty aggressive if he needs to be.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #30
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Quote:

Good thing you told that bitch off. I hate people like that.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 10:26 AM   #31
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:

You should keep an open jar of peanut butter in your glove box, with saran wrap over the top. That way, when someone does something that stupid, you could just open the glvoe box, shove your hand through the saran wrap, get it covered in peanut butter, and bitch slap them!

POW!

Peanut-butta-slap! Stupid bitch!

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I don't believe those reports are realistic. True, speed may not be the culprit of most accidents and that bad driving habits are, but raising the speed limit will NOT reduce accidents either because it was not the cause to begin with. Matter of fact is there will be same amount of accidents but more severe accidents. Raising the speed limit is not going to curtail careless driver from veering into others lane or stomp on brakes because they are distracted from conversations.
There are numerous reports saying so, based in both this country and others. Look at states like Montana that have 80mph limits and you'll find slightly lower crash statistics per 1,000. I'm not saying there aren't idiot drivers who need to be fixed, but I am saying it should happen, then limits should be raised. I think they cited faster limits helped keep people in th right lanes better, but who knows...
      07-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #33
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
Peanut-butta-slap! Stupid bitch!

wtf lol
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #34
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Here in the Dirty Jerz we have a lot of DWI's aka Driving While Indian
      08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #35
jhv
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

a woman nearly ran me off the road this morning. she wasnt on a cell phone, she wasnt doing make up, she was just a shitty driver
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #36
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

There are just too many bad drivers in North America.

It doesn't take a full stop to make a right hand turn onto the next street (when no stop sign is present and no red light is showing).

Merging on the highway going well below the speed limit is also very dangerous.

Make manual cars mandatory for driver's exams and first 2 years of driving experience. Make driving a privilege (like someone mentioned) and increase the difficulty of passing the test.

Overtaking should also be done in the left lane, otherwise get to the right and stay there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #37
vgame64
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
Here in the Dirty Jerz we have a lot of DWI's aka Driving While Indian
Not to be racist (but it is), in Jersey we have too many Chinese/Asian (Indians included) that can't drive for shit. (Especially older women). But the other demographics (especially teen girls on phones) aren't going to win any medals for exceptional driving either.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #38
Inspired
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Not to be racist (but it is), in Jersey we have too many Chinese/Asian (Indians included) that can't drive for shit. (Especially older women). But the other demographics (especially teen girls on phones) aren't going to win any medals for exceptional driving either.
Lmfao? if your gonna generalize like that..obviously blacks can't drive for shit.. especially with their seats so low that it is nearly touching the back seats..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
What causes more accidents?

Women
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #40
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

I like what Jezza said in last nights Top Gear. If you don't have a passion for driving and cars in general then you can't do it so you shouldn't have a license. Makes sense.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 12:54 PM   #41
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Lmfao? if your gonna generalize like that..obviously blacks can't drive for shit.. especially with their seats so low that it is nearly touching the back seats..
hahaha

Actually they drive slower than.

I shit you not, I passed a bunch of guys in their buicks on "vogues" or "eighty-fo's" Friday night and all of the sudden they are swerving left and right like in music videos. ON THE FREEWAY! I just laughed.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #42
bdkevoIX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgame64 View Post
Well there's some truth to this as these people are immigrants and probably never had to drive in their home countries. Few years of driving experience in their 40's and 50's can only get them so far...

My mother for example, is a decent driver now, but she got her driver's license when she was 40. Her first behind the wheel trial ended up on a sidewalk in front of WaWa's...
      08-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #43
carve
Major
Rep

It's mostly bad drivers. Here are some anecdotes...

*It scares the crap out of me my grandma can drive, although I think old men wearing hats are the worst drivers.
*My step-sister had to retake the easy-ass test three times to pass! If you fail twice, you should have to wait a year.
*Germany has very stringent drivers training and NO speed limit. Their fatality rate is equal or lower than ours (depdnding on the year). It was very nice cruising at 130 mph while there
*It seems cops spend the majority of their time looking for speeders, as though that's the great scurge on our society. Go solve real crimes, damnit! Or at least look for drivers who, while not speeding, are dangerous.
*When I lived in CA, there once was a hail storm that blanketed the ground. In a 10 mile drive, every half mile there was a truck or SUV ON IT'S ROOF!! I didn't even slip a tire. THAT, is some crappy driving. (Fair weather drivers who think 4wd exempts them from the laws of physics)
*Only about 40% of people in my town understand "yield the right away". Often, they think they're being polite and wave you through even though they're on the right, but if they hit you it's YOUR fault for not yielding. I used to wave them through, but then it became a waving contest. now I just act like I don't see them and wait for them to go. Traffic would go so much more smoothly if people KNEW THE RULES.

Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for Americans under 35. These machines are heavy and deadly, and should be treated as such. The issues really needs to be taken more seriously than it currently is. We need better training and harder tests. That would be far more beneficial than any traffic enforcement or speed limit restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2009, 10:11 AM   #44
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
It's mostly bad drivers. Here are some anecdotes...

*It scares the crap out of me my grandma can drive, although I think old men wearing hats are the worst drivers.
*My step-sister had to retake the easy-ass test three times to pass! If you fail twice, you should have to wait a year.
*Germany has very stringent drivers training and NO speed limit. Their fatality rate is equal or lower than ours (depdnding on the year). It was very nice cruising at 130 mph while there
*It seems cops spend the majority of their time looking for speeders, as though that's the great scurge on our society. Go solve real crimes, damnit! Or at least look for drivers who, while not speeding, are dangerous.
*When I lived in CA, there once was a hail storm that blanketed the ground. In a 10 mile drive, every half mile there was a truck or SUV ON IT'S ROOF!! I didn't even slip a tire. THAT, is some crappy driving. (Fair weather drivers who think 4wd exempts them from the laws of physics)
*Only about 40% of people in my town understand "yield the right away". Often, they think they're being polite and wave you through even though they're on the right, but if they hit you it's YOUR fault for not yielding. I used to wave them through, but then it became a waving contest. now I just act like I don't see them and wait for them to go. Traffic would go so much more smoothly if people KNEW THE RULES.

Traffic accidents are the leading cause of death for Americans under 35. These machines are heavy and deadly, and should be treated as such. The issues really needs to be taken more seriously than it currently is. We need better training and harder tests. That would be far more beneficial than any traffic enforcement or speed limit restrictions.
Great points. That's why I said earlier the biggest problem is people (including the government) look at driving as a right, when it's MOST DEFINITELY a PRIVILEDGE.
Appreciate 0